Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Get a job!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I see it so often on here, telling SAHMs where the family is bearly above water financially, being told to get a job. Well here is a little math problem for you.

Find the monthly cost for a daycare or sitter in your area. Now multiply it by the number of children you have. That is your monthly daycare cost.

Now say you got a job making $10.00 per hour (going rate around here), and work 40 hours a week. Multiply 40 hours by $10.00 per hour. That's about $400 per week. Now don't forget to take taxes out of that! Now multiply the number after taxes by 4 because that's the typical number of weeks in a month.

Now how much money was made in a month AFTER TAXES verses how much money was paid in child care in a month? Do you come out even, paying more in child care than you're making, or do you still have money left over after paying for child care?

Not every one has friends or family around to watch the kids and not SOs job has predictable hours. Just food for thought.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
2 moms liked this

AGAIN these same people are also idiotic enough they have more "accidental" pregnancies then more excuses why she is at home and whining about how broke they are. Seriously, I have no sympathy for people like this, none at all.

We had our first 17 years ago, she is seventeen of course, we saved up, saved for college, purchased expensive health insurance (900 a month because that is the cheapest we can find). Hubby is a builder and realtor.... The market crashed shy after we had our second daughter, she was two going on three, we lost everything, our house, we downgraded, the money we saved for the future, is all gone, plus debts to stay afloat. It was a long rough 2-3 years but we did not bitch, whine, and complain how everyone else owes us and how we do not have enough money and start having more fucking kids. We were smart, I worked odd jobs where I ever I could, we took turns watching the little one, the teen helped when she could, we worked together as a damn family. If I had to pull weeds so be it (btw I did pull weeds, mow, odd jobs) just for a little cash. There is no damn excuse at all why people are not attempting to make a little cash here and there bec ause they have kids at home. Lamest I ever heard, then they spit out more kids and expect your sympathy.

Today I am back in college, so we can stay afloat after asshole obama raises the taxes and finishes destroying our economy financially.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

What I'm saying is, for example, a family with a mom and dad a baby just born and a toddler who is not in school. The dad had an awesome job and saved some money, but he lost it and went to work making far less. They down size their life, use up all their savings, and need help. They calculate out how much everything will cost and it would be more cost effective for them to keep mom home, because she doesn't have a degree or trade or anything that could get her a job making more than minimum wage.

Quoting thetrollcat:

I dunno about you but my kids did not remaion babies for like ten years or so.... the only way you would always have KIDS at home (not in school) is if you keep HAVING MORE KIDS.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

And if they fell on hard times after having kids, and are not having more? Give them up for adoption, I guess?

Quoting OrientalLily:

Then stop having kids because you obviously can't afford them.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

RedSoxWife
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup, so work the opposite schedule of your so. No daycare plus income. That's what we do, works great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Sigh. I'm so sick of this argument. Everyone on either end of the extreme has flawed logic. I wont pretend to have the answers, but I could easily come up with an argument against both sides. Get over yourselves.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM
How is that better? Especially since they woild be sticking the kids in daycare bad for everyone

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Depending on your income they can look into childcare assistance. Taking into consideration theres a waiting list. Also look into home based daycares as the rates are lower.

Just suggestions....im not one of those ppl who say that.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM

When do you sleep? My husband works 12 hour shifts over night, there is no way we could pull this off. He struggles to get enough sleep as it is. He has been at this job for almost a year and his body will not adjust to this schedule. He is suffering health consequences and has fallen asleep at the wheel twice, the second time getting into a major accident. If I got a job during the day and left my kids with him while he's supposed to be sleeping, he would not physically be able to keep himself awake, and if he tried he would probably end up dead. I wish he could get a better job, but as much as he is trying, it hasn't happened yet.

Quoting RedSoxWife:

Yup, so work the opposite schedule of your so. No daycare plus income. That's what we do, works great

Luna091306
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I totally agree with you. I'm looking for part time to help out but going fulltime at the moment isn't very reasonable and I only have one child that needs daycare. We aren't struggling horribly but at times money is tight.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM
6 moms liked this

Simple solution.  Establish a career before having kids you can't afford.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Yes! And in the meantime, leave all of the ones who are already here to starve or to be left unattended! Maybe if we let all of these kids die, people will start being more responsible.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Simple solution.  Establish a career before having kids you can't afford.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM
You're awesome(:
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM
OKAY! GOOD FOR U. LOL DC!

Quoting FL2AK:

I will happily be a bitch if that means I am a self sufficient adult who can provide for my children.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL I wouldnt explain shit to these dumb bitches!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)