Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spanking!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Horrible I dont do it I think this is the best way to teach children how to loose your cool. I think showing them you can be mature about your actions then they will as adults deal with stress better.
Get a grip on yourselves and quit hitting your kids!!!
If you dont believe in this form of parenting maybe you can share your ideas..
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Boom! There ya go op!

Quoting opinionatedmom:

oh boy here we go. good thing i don't need your approval on my parenting.

LuckyIrishMom
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the age, but time-outs, isolation (sent to their rooms), taking away toys/activities, etc. has always been more effective than anything else for me.  My ex-husband believes in spanking.  I do not.  I don't really want to earn "respect" from my children through fear.  Besides, with all the games, computers, tv, etc that kids have access to, you'd be amazed just how horrible of a punishment it is to them when they have nothing to do but sit quietly with nothing but a book LOL!

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM
If I see my child hit someone after being told not to, then yes. I simply say "does that feel good? Do you want me to hit you like you hit them?' The answer is always no and they get the picture.

You walk up to a grown adult and punch them after they take the last loaf of bread you wanted, do you think they will stand calmly by? No, they will hit back. Cause and effect, it works.

My children do not fear me, they fear punishment. You don't obey the law because you're afraid of the judge, you do it because you are afraid if going to jail. Once again, cause and effect teaching.

Quoting lkeyes143:

But WHY would you want your child to fear you? Why would you teach your child that it's acceptable to be aggressive to someone who is helpless or smaller than you? *smh*

It irks me when I see parents say, "Don't hit!"...as they're hitting them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do people assume that those who spank do so in anger? Many do not. Sure, there are some but I don't and the people I know who spank do not either. So why the assumption?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I spank but i don't yell. if i tell you no and count to 3 you best bet i am not kidding. discipline is always needed and if the talking doesn't work a swat on the butt will.

lkeyes143
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

"How is spanking aggressive?" Really?! Spanking is clearly an act of aggression. I didn't say anything about anger... I'm referring to the fact that spankings physically hurts. Realistically speaking, you're teaching your child that mommy will hurt them (regardless of the reason). Respect, yes. Fear? Absolutely not. JMO.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who says my child fears me? And how is spanning aggressive? Again, you are making the assumption that it is done in anger or with the attitude that I want to hurt them. Not true, on either count. So, why the assumption?

Quoting lkeyes143:

But WHY would you want your child to fear you? Why would you teach your child that it's acceptable to be aggressive to someone who is helpless or smaller than you? *smh*

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do people assume that those who spank do so in anger? Many do not. Sure, there are some but I don't and the people I know who spank do not either. So why the assumption?

cklamour
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I give my son a squat across his rear maybe once a month. It's not out of anger, but to add an extra ingredient for him to "act right." If I were to hit my son out of anger I would not be on CM, I would be in prison -for life.

Spanking is such a last resort, it hardly exists in my home, but he does receive a squat when he "forgets" who I am. Regardless, this is my opinion and my personal choice. I do not go around and look at those parents who children obviously need a "smack-down" to look at their ways of parenting. From my perspective, I have noticed that parents who have children my sons age (4 years) have such a difficult time with disciplining. Neither one of my children has ever risen their hands to hit, bite, or punch someone, at any age. So, all I do is giggle when I hear or read "my four year old keeps hitting me, what should I do?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
proud mom quote.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

When I loose my cool as you put up there I'm usually angry I wait a few seconds and then I tear her lil a*s up

Quoting Anonymous:

who said anything about anger? maybe you should take a moment to reflect

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

I don't spank out of anger I spank to discipline

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
My dd hasn't got spanked yet, bit just the knowledge that I may spank of she doesn't listen is good enough for me. I will spank as a form of discipline if everything else I try doesn't work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lkeyes143
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Why do you think your child hit someone, though? Could it be because they've learned that behaviour?...from momma? Aggression is a learned behavior.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

If I see my child hit someone after being told not to, then yes. I simply say "does that feel good? Do you want me to hit you like you hit them?' The answer is always no and they get the picture.

You walk up to a grown adult and punch them after they take the last loaf of bread you wanted, do you think they will stand calmly by? No, they will hit back. Cause and effect, it works.

My children do not fear me, they fear punishment. You don't obey the law because you're afraid of the judge, you do it because you are afraid if going to jail. Once again, cause and effect teaching.

Quoting lkeyes143:

Quoting Anonymous:

mcclainprincess
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM
I spank. I have one of the most well behaved and loving child i've ever met. most who spank don't just walk around beating their children, jeez...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)