Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spanking!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Horrible I dont do it I think this is the best way to teach children how to loose your cool. I think showing them you can be mature about your actions then they will as adults deal with stress better.
Get a grip on yourselves and quit hitting your kids!!!
If you dont believe in this form of parenting maybe you can share your ideas..
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Replies (51-60):
lkeyes143
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Agree completely, it totally depends on the age. But I *personally* believe there is a more effective form of discipline than aggression...every time. I couldn't justify inflicting pain on my children to "teach them a lesson".

Quoting LuckyIrishMom:

Depends on the age, but time-outs, isolation (sent to their rooms), taking away toys/activities, etc. has always been more effective than anything else for me.  My ex-husband believes in spanking.  I do not.  I don't really want to earn "respect" from my children through fear.  Besides, with all the games, computers, tv, etc that kids have access to, you'd be amazed just how horrible of a punishment it is to them when they have nothing to do but sit quietly with nothing but a book LOL!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Does this sound aggressive to you?

Child does something intentionally wrong. Mother gently corrects child and lets child know that it is wrong/not good to do/etc. and gives a warning of a future spanking if child persists in being naughty. Child again intentionally disobeys. Mother takes child into another room. Mother and child sit down and discuss what the child did, how it was wrong, and how the child now needs a reminder not to be disobedient. Child gets a swat on the bottom, child gets a hug and a kiss and a little time with mom before going back out to play.

My child rarely gets to the spanking because the warning is enough.

So tell me, how is this in any way aggressive?

Quoting lkeyes143:

"How is spanking aggressive?" Really?! Spanking is clearly an act of aggression. I didn't say anything about anger... I'm referring to the fact that spankings physically hurts. Realistically speaking, you're teaching your child that mommy will hurt them (regardless of the reason). Respect, yes. Fear? Absolutely not. JMO.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who says my child fears me? And how is spanning aggressive? Again, you are making the assumption that it is done in anger or with the attitude that I want to hurt them. Not true, on either count. So, why the assumption?

Quoting lkeyes143:

But WHY would you want your child to fear you? Why would you teach your child that it's acceptable to be aggressive to someone who is helpless or smaller than you? *smh*

It irks me when I see parents say, "Don't hit!"...as they're hitting them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do people assume that those who spank do so in anger? Many do not. Sure, there are some but I don't and the people I know who spank do not either. So why the assumption?

kaykaymomi10
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Sure is I especially tear her a*s if I tell her not to do something more than twice

Quoting Anonymous:

proud mom quote.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

When I loose my cool as you put up there I'm usually angry I wait a few seconds and then I tear her lil a*s up

Quoting Anonymous:

who said anything about anger? maybe you should take a moment to reflect

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

I don't spank out of anger I spank to discipline

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lkeyes143
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Actually, that sounds more bi-polar than aggressive.

I agree that it's important to tell your child why they're being disciplined. I also agree that you should make sure your child knows that even though you don't love what they did, you still love them. I just disagree about causing your child pain.

BTW, thank you for being respectful about your opinion and not bashing me for having mine.  :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Does this sound aggressive to you?

Child does something intentionally wrong. Mother gently corrects child and lets child know that it is wrong/not good to do/etc. and gives a warning of a future spanking if child persists in being naughty. Child again intentionally disobeys. Mother takes child into another room. Mother and child sit down and discuss what the child did, how it was wrong, and how the child now needs a reminder not to be disobedient. Child gets a swat on the bottom, child gets a hug and a kiss and a little time with mom before going back out to play.

My child rarely gets to the spanking because the warning is enough.

So tell me, how is this in any way aggressive?

Quoting lkeyes143:

"How is spanking aggressive?" Really?! Spanking is clearly an act of aggression. I didn't say anything about anger... I'm referring to the fact that spankings physically hurts. Realistically speaking, you're teaching your child that mommy will hurt them (regardless of the reason). Respect, yes. Fear? Absolutely not. JMO.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who says my child fears me? And how is spanning aggressive? Again, you are making the assumption that it is done in anger or with the attitude that I want to hurt them. Not true, on either count. So, why the assumption?

Quoting lkeyes143:

But WHY would you want your child to fear you? Why would you teach your child that it's acceptable to be aggressive to someone who is helpless or smaller than you? *smh*

It irks me when I see parents say, "Don't hit!"...as they're hitting them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do people assume that those who spank do so in anger? Many do not. Sure, there are some but I don't and the people I know who spank do not either. So why the assumption?

mrspeterrabbit
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Everyone diciplines their kids different.......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zagomez
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I can honestly say that I owe it to my dad to be the person I am today. He raised me right, and yes we got spankings growing up, he thought me right from wrong and i got punished when i would showing my ass, and i knew if i did it again i would get the same consequences. Me and my sisters were some well behave children!

Mashnut3161
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Lose control?

It is a last resort and you take a time out first for two reasons. To let the kid think about it and to cool off.

Mashnut3161
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)