Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't understand why they're letting her bleed to death... *ETA*

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 138 Replies

My aunt has had an almost continuous AF for three years (she'll bleed for about three weeks, then stop for about a week, then it starts over)- it wasn't as bad the first year but started getting worse last year.
Her doc said the only way to fix it is to remove her ovaries.
The hospital cost is $29,000, which doesn't include the doctor fees, and numerous hospital fees (tools, anesthesia, etc.).
She is now anemic, has very low iron, and faints more often.
She has no medical insurance and can't afford any. Her and my uncle filed for bankruptcy last year and are still trying to build their lives back up while also trying to get two kids through college.
The hospital told her she would have to make a downpayment before they'd do the surgery, but my aunt can't even afford that upfront cost.
They told her to get on Medicaid and let the government pay for it, but my uncle makes "too much money" for her to use that option.
Isn't there another option that doesn't require my aunt to slowly bleed to death?
I don't understand the ideology behind not helping those who need important medical services.

*ETA* Thank you ladies for all of your ideas. I have passed all of them on to my aunt. I will continue to pester her with these ideas until she realizes that she has to put her health first.
  I know that some of you think she is "martyring" herself and many of you think she is doing it to herself, but she is one of the kindest people I know, and no matter how many times her kids screw up or her husband thinks of himself before her, she continues to love them and keep their interests ahead of her own. That's probably causing all of her problems, but she doesn't know any other way to be.

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmberMerrell
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Bump. It's a sad world we live in. Prayers for your aunt & family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

because this is why obamacare was passed

she has to pay the hospital

jean_marie1987
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That's not what her problem is. Her problem is that she needs the surgery, but they're not willing to work with her extremely limited means. They could lower the downpayment, or something, but instead of helping her they're letting her slowly die.
Just because she can't afford upfront costs is no reason to deny her care.

Quoting silverdawn99:

because this is why obamacare was passed

she has to pay the hospital

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
She needs to go to a state hospital and try and get charity care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
That's awful. I'm so sorry for your aunt and for you. I don't have any advice for you, but here's a bump and I hope a solution is found soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

One option if it is possible is to cosign a loan with them and get the money, Not many other options right now prayers and GL!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM
could she get it done at a medical school? I have heard they let want tobe surgeons operate under the watchful eyes of real surgeons for reduced fees,
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Because she's going to a super shitty hospital.
gilbertgrl627
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I wish I had an answer for you, hon. Is she part of a church? Any way to contact a charity? Do you know how much the hospital wants as a deposit?

1likeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM
18 moms liked this
I see your point but why is she paying for two adults to attend college while she is slowly deteriorating. Her health is a higher priority than college tuition.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)