Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

questions about Twilight

Posted by   + Show Post

I am doing a little survey for a paper and since this is the most active group i am in, here it is :)

Have you read the twilight series and/or watched the movies? do you plan on ever doing so? What is your opinion of the relationship of Jacob,Bella and Edward and each as individuals in both the movies and books? Based on your perceptions of their relationship, is it one you would want for yourself or your child ( not involving the supernatural, just the base relationship and how it would be irl)  

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
MrsRi
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Twilight- A bunch of sparkly pedophiles running around.  One said character falls in love with and dominates a young virginal character.  Gets girl pregnant and tries to force her to have an abortion.  She has a baby, Jacob realizes he can't have Bella and instead falls in love with a newborn and creepily watches her come of age or close enough to it so he can bang his substitute Bella.

Am I close?

CodenameDuchess
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I read the books. Watched the first and third movie.

The story is horrible and the books are poorly written. There is no real character development at all.

Bella is everything I would never, EVER want my daughters to be: needy, emotional, weak, and completely defines her self-worth on whether or not some boy loves her.

Both the relationships between Bella and Edward and Bella and Jacob are unhealthy and mired in co-dependancy. They are both controlling, possessive, and take every opportunity to infantilize her....and she craves it.

Worst love story ever. Seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomandWife6
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I think the books are well written and a very good read. I don't however feel that those ideals should be brought over into real life.  I think an everlasting love like that is idealistic and nonsense but it's a good thought anyway.  I'm just very glad that i do not have a teenage daughter that can get caught up in all the twilight bull crap.  It's a great tweenie bopper dream to dream of love forever and all that and vamps are cool...but yeah no I'm good. and the movies are extremely different from the books...

polyhymia
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsRi:

Twilight- A bunch of sparkly pedophiles running around.  One said character falls in love with and dominates a young virginal character.  Gets girl pregnant and tries to force her to have an abortion.  She has a baby, Jacob realizes he can't have Bella and instead falls in love with a newborn and creepily watches her come of age or close enough to it so he can bang his substitute Bella.

Am I close?

haha i like that description

Michellina11234
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Quoting polyhymia:

Quoting Michellina11234:

eh they were ok books, the movies I found stupid

but what about the actual relationships involved? do you think young readers ( really young, the books were very simple) look at the relationship between bella and edward or bella and jacob as "real"?

I don't think i would classify the relationship between a vampire and a teenager as real. Like Stephen king said ..."Harry potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." 

mich.el.le

Yes. Lame, annoying, inappropriate..the list could go on.  Hell no.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

polyhymia

Quoting MomandWife6:

I think the books are well written and a very good read. I don't however feel that those ideals should be brought over into real life.  I think an everlasting love like that is idealistic and nonsense but it's a good thought anyway.  I'm just very glad that i do not have a teenage daughter that can get caught up in all the twilight bull crap.  It's a great tweenie bopper dream to dream of love forever and all that and vamps are cool...but yeah no I'm good. and the movies are extremely different from the books...

do you think that it is possible that some of the young readers do bring it into real life though?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM
No your not

Quoting MrsRi:

Am I close?

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I read the first book because it is was a huge hype here(I live near Forks)and could barely stomach my way through it.

I cant even comment on the strange relationship they had but I would not want that for my kids, ever.

Happy Halloween!

polyhymia
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Quoting Michellina11234:

Quoting polyhymia:

Quoting Michellina11234:

eh they were ok books, the movies I found stupid

but what about the actual relationships involved? do you think young readers ( really young, the books were very simple) look at the relationship between bella and edward or bella and jacob as "real"?

I don't think i would classify the relationship between a vampire and a teenager as real. Like Stephen king said ..."Harry potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." 

say the dynamics within the relationship were the same, but edward was not a vampire, is more what i was getting at. I like that quote :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)