Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

questions about Twilight

Posted by   + Show Post

I am doing a little survey for a paper and since this is the most active group i am in, here it is :)

Have you read the twilight series and/or watched the movies? do you plan on ever doing so? What is your opinion of the relationship of Jacob,Bella and Edward and each as individuals in both the movies and books? Based on your perceptions of their relationship, is it one you would want for yourself or your child ( not involving the supernatural, just the base relationship and how it would be irl)  

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
MomandWife6
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I'm very sure that some of the young people out there do and they are looking for the perfect edward/bella and it just isn't like that and I think they may get hurt looking for something that doesnt exist, meaning they will be so busy looking for edward/bella that they won't see what's right there in front of them

Quoting polyhymia:

Quoting MomandWife6:

I think the books are well written and a very good read. I don't however feel that those ideals should be brought over into real life.  I think an everlasting love like that is idealistic and nonsense but it's a good thought anyway.  I'm just very glad that i do not have a teenage daughter that can get caught up in all the twilight bull crap.  It's a great tweenie bopper dream to dream of love forever and all that and vamps are cool...but yeah no I'm good. and the movies are extremely different from the books...

do you think that it is possible that some of the young readers do bring it into real life though?

MrsRi
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Eh, ask again if I give two shits.

The books/movies were what they were.  The movies were actually pretty good.  Never read past the first book.

Quoting Anonymous:

No you're not

Quoting MrsRi:

Twilight- A bunch of sparkly pedophiles running around.  One said character falls in love with and dominates a young virginal character.  Gets girl pregnant and tries to force her to have an abortion.  She has a baby, Jacob realizes he can't have Bella and instead falls in love with a newborn and creepily watches her come of age or close enough to it so he can bang his substitute Bella.

Am I close?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting polyhymia:

you should head over to the pinterest geek section. They have some great comparisons of female role models and twilight. Buffy vs Bella. Harry potter girls vs Bella. Princess leia vs Bella. It's all in great fun but there are some major points that are hit
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I loved the books, the movies are really good, but definitely not the best I've ever seen. I think the whole love triangle is stupid, but it makes for a decent story. I think the relationship between Bella and Edward is twisted, and bordering on stalkerish. And I think either Renesmee's character should have been left out, or should have been developed more, maybe into another book. That one was kind of a dead end.

I'm a designer at the best siggy group on CM--click here to check it out!

polyhymia
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Do you see their relationship as being true love? 

Quoting MomandWife6:

I'm very sure that some of the young people out there do and they are looking for the perfect edward/bella and it just isn't like that and I think they may get hurt looking for something that doesnt exist, meaning they will be so busy looking for edward/bella that they won't see what's right there in front of them

Quoting polyhymia:

Quoting MomandWife6:

I think the books are well written and a very good read. I don't however feel that those ideals should be brought over into real life.  I think an everlasting love like that is idealistic and nonsense but it's a good thought anyway.  I'm just very glad that i do not have a teenage daughter that can get caught up in all the twilight bull crap.  It's a great tweenie bopper dream to dream of love forever and all that and vamps are cool...but yeah no I'm good. and the movies are extremely different from the books...

do you think that it is possible that some of the young readers do bring it into real life though?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I've watched the movies, and enjoy the movies, but the love triangle isn't something I've thought about with too much depth. It's just a movie. I guess in real life, I certainly wouldn't want my teenage daughter being consumed by a love affair between two guys. I'd want her only focus to be her education at that age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM
I've read all the books and watched all the movies except this last one. I liked them but I did feel like the author rushed through the books. Um the love triangle for me was a little disappointing because it was too obvious that Bella would end up with Edward. But I do envy the way Edward is toward Bella..some what protective but it is obvious that he loves her and has eyes for no other women,only her. The whole (doesn't want to live without her) to me showed just how in love he is. I really felt bad for Jacob because Bella couldn't make up her mind and put him threw alot when he was a really good guy. I would definitely love to have someone like him as friend. I liked all three characters in the books but the movies felt low budget to me in the beginning..they have gotten better but they are still not there yet. Maybe this last one will be the best. I prefer the books because the movies leave way to many details out.
mummy1990
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I read the books, and I've seen all the movies, but I actually really hate the movies...they make me want to vomit, but I still watch them, I just only rent them when they come on redbox. I don't want to give them more than that. The books were okay, I read them in high school, so I thought they were good, but even when I liked them, I always thought Bella was a dumbass, Edward was a creepy old guy (even though he looked 17), who was a controlling asshole most of the time, and then Jacob...I alwasy felt sorry for him because he was in love with such a stupid twat, lol. I thought their relationship was stupid...like Edward is supposed to be an old man basically, and he acted like such an asshole....You'd think after all his living he'd maybe...you know...grow up. lol. And as for bella....shes just an idiot....like really. 

My favorite Characters were Always Alice and Jasper, Rosalie and Emmet. Basically everyone else but Bella and Edward.

If I were ever in a relationship like theres, I would promptly leave it....One, I wouldn't ever lead a guy on like she did to Jacob, and two, If a guy isn't honest with me, even when he thinks that not telling me something, or lying to me is going to protect me from something, and he seems to act jealous about me being friends with other guys, or just acts like I'm some fragile piece of glass.....I'm gone. I don't like being treated like that.

jettenberg1
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I read the whole series before it was popular. I love it!! Ad I saw all the movies so far. I think that Jacob is the best choice for her and he can five her a normal life...but I still am team Edward..who doesnt want the bad boy? I was in a similar situation when I wad 15 chose between the hot Rich bad boy that everyone in my family didn't like but I was crazy about him! Or the safe good guy that I've known forever.. In the end I chose the most responsible one and I've been with him ever since :) I know I made the right choice for me. I joke around with him all the time saying he is a warewolf because he has a hairy chest lol. Wow I never really thought about that lol
Michellina11234
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Quoting polyhymia:

Quoting Michellina11234:

Quoting polyhymia:

Quoting Michellina11234:

eh they were ok books, the movies I found stupid

but what about the actual relationships involved? do you think young readers ( really young, the books were very simple) look at the relationship between bella and edward or bella and jacob as "real"?

I don't think i would classify the relationship between a vampire and a teenager as real. Like Stephen king said ..."Harry potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend." 

say the dynamics within the relationship were the same, but edward was not a vampire, is more what i was getting at. I like that quote :)

to me it was not a healthy relationship. She focused her whole life around one man. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN