Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

questions about Twilight

Posted by   + Show Post

I am doing a little survey for a paper and since this is the most active group i am in, here it is :)

Have you read the twilight series and/or watched the movies? do you plan on ever doing so? What is your opinion of the relationship of Jacob,Bella and Edward and each as individuals in both the movies and books? Based on your perceptions of their relationship, is it one you would want for yourself or your child ( not involving the supernatural, just the base relationship and how it would be irl)  

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Read the books when they first came out. Saw the first 2 movies.
Leobaby2007
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I think the books were poorly written, but the movies were entertaining, although I have not seen the last one yet- is even out yet? I don't think so. 

I think the relationship between Bella and Edward is way too intense for two teenagers, or two adults, for that matter lol.

I would never want to see my son or daughter in an entanglement like that. It would scare ever living shit out of me- not because of the vampire stuff lol- obviously that's all fake- but because of the all consuming I can't eat or sleep or think of anything else but you and I'm like 16 fucking years old and I should be happy and living my life and enjoying my youth and not staring out a window with a blank expression in my eyes for hours at a time. KWIM? WTF is that all about?

SusanTheWriter
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I tried to read it, but gave up before finishing the first book. The writing was execrable, but more than that, Bella was just beyond irritating. How often do I have to be told how clumsy she was?

I watched first movie to see if I should bother trying to read the books again, but it was even worse. I fell off the couch laughing when Edward called her "spider monkey"! I'm pretty sure that's not what the moviemakers intended me to do.

periwinkle163
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I have read the books and have watched all but the last movie out. I think the relationship between Bella and Edward seems very codependent. While I like the books I don't care for the message it sends. Bella collapses into despair when Edward leaves and does dangerous things to get his attention. Edward tries to kill himself once he thinks Bella is gone, it's so over the top, their is no way I would my child or myself to ever be in a relationship that is so co-dependant that they can't survive without each other.

Bella and Jacob's relationship starts promisingly enough based on respect and friendship, but then she starts manipulating him and pretending to feel more strongly for him than she actually does. I think of the 3 Jacob has the best handle on his feelings, and personally I think he is right to feel contempt for Edward for leaving Bella and letting others clean up his mess.

polyhymia
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quoting Leobaby2007:

I think the books were poorly written, but the movies were entertaining, although I have not seen the last one yet- is even out yet? I don't think so. 

I think the relationship between Bella and Edward is way too intense for two teenagers, or two adults, for that matter lol.

I would never want to see my son or daughter in an entanglement like that. It would scare ever living shit out of me- not because of the vampire stuff lol- obviously that's all fake- but because of the all consuming I can't eat or sleep or think of anything else but you and I'm like 16 fucking years old and I should be happy and living my life and enjoying my youth and not staring out a window with a blank expression in my eyes for hours at a time. KWIM? WTF is that all about?

I agree with you. I am doing this little survey for a paper about how the media romantasizes teen dtaing violence, so naturally twilight was a good baseline haha

polyhymia
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I tried to read it, but gave up before finishing the first book. The writing was execrable, but more than that, Bella was just beyond irritating. How often do I have to be told how clumsy she was?

I watched first movie to see if I should bother trying to read the books again, but it was even worse. I fell off the couch laughing when Edward called her "spider monkey"! I'm pretty sure that's not what the moviemakers intended me to do.

hahaha! 

polyhymia
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Quoting periwinkle163:

I have read the books and have watched all but the last movie out. I think the relationship between Bella and Edward seems very codependent. While I like the books I don't care for the message it sends. Bella collapses into despair when Edward leaves and does dangerous things to get his attention. Edward tries to kill himself once he thinks Bella is gone, it's so over the top, their is no way I would my child or myself to ever be in a relationship that is so co-dependant that they can't survive without each other.

Bella and Jacob's relationship starts promisingly enough based on respect and friendship, but then she starts manipulating him and pretending to feel more strongly for him than she actually does. I think of the 3 Jacob has the best handle on his feelings, and personally I think he is right to feel contempt for Edward for leaving Bella and letting others clean up his mess.

thank you, that was a very interesting way to look at jacob. It seems just as common to put jacob on the same boat as edward as far as bad relationships go. What do you think about the other werewolves and their relationships? 

mommy425906
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Edward was a virgin too, wasn't he? And I wouldn't say 'gets girl pregnant' because they both thought that was physically impossible. And the reasoning behind wanting her to abort was because they thought the baby would be pure evil and/or the pregnancy would kill Bella. And the Jacob 'imprinting' thing with Renesmee is explained in the book. Its not a sexual attraction and he's not just lurking around for her to grow up so he can do her.

The books were decent imo. A whole lot better than the 50 Shades series that so many women are in love with. The movies are god awful. I did not like Bella's character. I do wish she had more backbone and was a stronger individual that didn't live or die for Edward. And the way she yanked Jacob around was messed up. That whole love triangle was her being extremely selfish. So, no, she is not a role model I would want for my daughter.

I think of all the characters I appreciated Edward the most. Though he was controlling he did it out of protection for Bella. He had seen so much in his life, he could read minds and know people's intentions, and he wanted to to protect her. Though it came across as suffocating I think the intentions were good - and not that of an abuser.

Quoting Anonymous:

No your not

Quoting MrsRi:

Twilight- A bunch of sparkly pedophiles running around.  One said character falls in love with and dominates a young virginal character.  Gets girl pregnant and tries to force her to have an abortion.  She has a baby, Jacob realizes he can't have Bella and instead falls in love with a newborn and creepily watches her come of age or close enough to it so he can bang his substitute Bella.

Am I close?

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I read all of the books and have only seen the first movie. It reads like a poorly written fanfiction and my husband went through the first book and made corrections
I find the characters to be amazingly one dimensional and the relationships to be obsessive bordering on dangerous. No. I would not want that for my daughter. If I had one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vampyrechic
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ive read all the books and seen all the movies. I will be seeing the last one when it comes out as well. I feel that the relationship between them is odd. I mean Bella either wants to be a necrophiliac or a zoophile. As for real life, minus the supernatural, no. I would not want my child to have an unhealthy relationship. She would need to tell one or the other to move on and not string him along. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)