Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DD caught lice at school...ewwww UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 154 Replies
1 mom liked this
My dd was scratching her head yesterday and I said why are you scratching? And she answered "mommy my head is really itchy and it wont go away". My first thought was "omg not lice". I hate lice, so I checked her head and didnt see any lice but I saw the nits. So if there are eggs then that means there are LICE. Ewwwww. So we are going to doctor this morning then I will drive up to the school and talk to the nurse so she checks everyone in classroom because I don't want her catching them again after treatment. She has really long hair and I am thinking about cutting up to her shoulders before treatment. But how can i take her to hair salon, that would be embarrasing! What should i do? Its hard to treat her hair because its down to half way down her back.

UPDATE: I took her to the school nurse before deciding to go to the dr and she gave her some shampoo and said to bring her back Monday for recheck. And for the ones who said why would i cut her hair, well she wants her hair cut shorter because its very long and last time she caught lice it was so hard getting rid of them and we had to spent nearly $100 in shampoos before it actually worked. For the ladies that said I am leeching off the system well maybe unless you are in my situation then i suggest you take your opinion somewhere else. We just moved 700 miles away to Texas from Alabama because things were really hard down there and we were about to go homeless. My parents helped us get an apartment and got him a job with my brother. Its construction so the hours will always vary especially in cold weather where he only works about 20 hours a week. With that being said we are really tight on money and can bearly afford our rent and car payment. I am not asking for pity either but many of us know that when things are hard you have to save every penny you can. Trying to get help from medicaid to treat my daughter was not leeching off the system.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

why would you go to the dr? and just call the school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM
She is on medicaid and it wont cover lice treatment unless its prescribed and also we will need a excuse for school.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:54 AM

you treat it yourself at home??? 

Quoting Anonymous:

She is on medicaid and it wont cover lice treatment unless its prescribed and also we will need a excuse for school.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

workoutmom2b1g
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Beauticians see lice all the time. Trust me. It's gross, but no shock to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:57 AM
Yes with the shampoo that is pescribed. Dh is not working good hours and we are reslly tight on money :( we could bearly afford rent this month.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:58 AM
Wow thats good to hear! She really needs a haircut before treatment!

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Beauticians see lice all the time. Trust me. It's gross, but no shock to them.
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM
3 moms liked this
You dont need a dr for that
Tell the teacher or school
And look up online on how to clean not only her head but the whole house

And a salon wont or shouldnt take her in to cut her hair. If they find out through half her cut that she has lice, they can show you the door without finishing the cut. I have many times had to show the door to a client mid way of haircut and the then the salon has to close down to clean up
If you take her without telling them, you can spread it to a the clients that go there

Clean her up first before taking her to a salon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Why are you going to the dr that seems pointless and a risk of spreading it to other people? I can't tell you how many times I got lice with my very long hair. Just go to the drug store pick up a box of shampoo that has a comb and follow the instructions. It i a pain and may take a few washes but you can get rid of them
b.futlz
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM
3 moms liked this
You could use mayo my mom use to use it when we couldn't get the shampoo

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes with the shampoo that is pescribed. Dh is not working good hours and we are reslly tight on money :( we could bearly afford rent this month.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Shit. And this is why our medicaid system is broke. CALL the Dr. My bet is he will NOT give out the script until the OTC stuff has failed to work.  You don't need a note-tell the school you found lice on her and kept her home to treat it.

A $150 dr's visit for freaking lice-if it was YOUR money you sure as hell wouldn't waste it that way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)