Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling all musical moms!!!!!!! Help me out!!! ETA

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
  • 87 Replies

Hi, ladies!

My oldest son, 7, has expressed a strong interest in the violin. He's been practicing it at school during his music classes, and has been begging me to buy him one. The thing is, I know basically nothing about music/violins/band etc. I'm pretty sure the school starts having kids sign up for band class in third grade but he's only in second and doesn't want to wait until next year. I have heard that violins are basically the toughest instrument to play, and one of the most expensive, so I'm kind of stuck here. I know he's truly interested, and would commit to it, as we've had many conversations, but he's seven, and I just don't know how to handle this. Does anyone know how I could get my hands on like a used violin or if I even should? And what about lessons... is that going to cost an arm and a leg? I've tried to explain to him that an instrument like that requires basically a life long commitment, but he just will not budge. Any other moms with musical kids who could give me some advice on this one?

ETA**** Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost?? A used instrument (I know there's no way we could buy a new one) and lessons???

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

BUMP!

dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

We have music stores here and they always have used instruments.

blue_mystique
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of times the musical instrument shops will have used instruments to buy or rent. Also check pawn shops. They get instruments in a lot. As far as lessons, my kid isn't that far yet (she's into drums and is getting her first set for Christmas lol) but I would check craigslist and ask the music teacher at school.

alwayskk
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Look into used instruments.

If I remember correctly, my voice lessons were around $60 a pop.

You can also try looking into instruments that are similar to a violin but less expensive.

GL!

dbush0584
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Also...DD wanted to do ballet...so after $700 and ONE year...she decided she didnt want to anymore.  SD wanted cheer...then softball...then jarate...then girl scouts.  Spent money on all of them and the only one she still wants to do is GS (probably because she hasnt started yet).  My rule is if you give it your all and still dont like it then find something else till you do.  Im not made of money but I want to encourage my kids to be active in someting they WANT...not what I want for them.

MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you rent one to see if he truly likes it? I wanted to play the violin when I was little, my mom made me play the clarinet. I'm 32 now and still wish I played the violin! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Get in touch with a local music store and see if they rent violins, and how much lessons will be... 

Yes, violins are very expensive. I'm a Flute player and my instrument was several thousand dollars 20 years ago when my parents upgraded me to a professional flute. It is still in fantastic condition, even needing new pads since they are so old. <--- it will only cost me about $100 to get new pads put in for my oldest dd when she starts playing it. She is 7 as well. 

When my kids ask for something that is really expensive, I sit down with them and show them prices of that item online so they don't think I'm saying " not right now" for just a random reason. 

The problem with a used instrument ( especially since you don't know anything about music) is the condition. Getting strings replaced, a bow replaced etc is going to be pretty expensive if the condition is not great. They have smaller violins for children if I remember correctly so that might be a good avenue for you. 

Good luck!

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I was like that, always hopping from one sport to another, but I played soccer continuously for 8 years, and my son is very much like me... he's very serious about the things he truly wants to do. Do you think it was worth it to spend so much money and her decide not to after a year? I'm not sure how I'd feel if that happened here.

Quoting dbush0584:

Also...DD wanted to do ballet...so after $700 and ONE year...she decided she didnt want to anymore.  SD wanted cheer...then softball...then jarate...then girl scouts.  Spent money on all of them and the only one she still wants to do is GS (probably because she hasnt started yet).  My rule is if you give it your all and still dont like it then find something else till you do.  Im not made of money but I want to encourage my kids to be active in someting they WANT...not what I want for them.

deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Where are you located?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM

oooo the older student thing is a great idea! thank you!

Quoting :

^^^---don't know what happened to my quote...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)