Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling all musical moms!!!!!!! Help me out!!! ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, ladies!

My oldest son, 7, has expressed a strong interest in the violin. He's been practicing it at school during his music classes, and has been begging me to buy him one. The thing is, I know basically nothing about music/violins/band etc. I'm pretty sure the school starts having kids sign up for band class in third grade but he's only in second and doesn't want to wait until next year. I have heard that violins are basically the toughest instrument to play, and one of the most expensive, so I'm kind of stuck here. I know he's truly interested, and would commit to it, as we've had many conversations, but he's seven, and I just don't know how to handle this. Does anyone know how I could get my hands on like a used violin or if I even should? And what about lessons... is that going to cost an arm and a leg? I've tried to explain to him that an instrument like that requires basically a life long commitment, but he just will not budge. Any other moms with musical kids who could give me some advice on this one?

ETA**** Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost?? A used instrument (I know there's no way we could buy a new one) and lessons???

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
jellybeanjean
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

Is size the only difference with a violin/viola? My son is super particular and catches on fast any time I try to bait and switch lol

Quoting momof3jam:

Try a viola instead. They're sort of a smaller version of a violin. And don't go with a used violin/viola, you don't know it's history, and may end up spending more getting it tuned up than it's worth. Try renting one. That's usually pretty cheap. That way he can give it a try and see how he really likes it before you have to commit.

Maybe you can look for a high school music student that would want to tutor? I'm not sure if that's possible, but maybe have a talk with the principal of your local school... Maybe they can consider it volunteer work for him/her to help.

Other than that, I have no idea how to find cheap(ish) lessons. My DS did his through the school, so we just paid one lump sum in the beginning of the year. (He decided halfway through that he didn't like it...)

Other than the viola being bigger than the violin, viola has a lower pitch (obviously) and plays primarily out of the alto clef.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

Ouch... that's a lot! I'd be willing to do it though, later, if he really does stick with it. I didn't know they made child sized ones... that would be great! He's already quite small for his age...

Quoting mcginnisc:

Get in touch with a local music store and see if they rent violins, and how much lessons will be... 

Yes, violins are very expensive. I'm a Flute player and my instrument was several thousand dollars 20 years ago when my parents upgraded me to a professional flute. It is still in fantastic condition, even needing new pads since they are so old. <--- it will only cost me about $100 to get new pads put in for my oldest dd when she starts playing it. She is 7 as well. 

When my kids ask for something that is really expensive, I sit down with them and show them prices of that item online so they don't think I'm saying " not right now" for just a random reason. 

The problem with a used instrument ( especially since you don't know anything about music) is the condition. Getting strings replaced, a bow replaced etc is going to be pretty expensive if the condition is not great. They have smaller violins for children if I remember correctly so that might be a good avenue for you. 

Good luck!

Just by doing a quick google search, I found children's violins for $69.99, but they can go as much as thousands of dollars for adult violins...the bows can be $300 up to $10K from what I've seen in the past few minutes...

I agree with edelweiss- get in touch with the local symphony. They are going to be more equipped in recommending what you should do in regards to an instrument and lessons for your son. 

I took private lessons for 9 years. My parents spent $100 per week for me to go as I took lessons from the principal Flutist in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra for several years. 

I have played since I was 9 years old and I'm almost 38 now.. of course, I don't play as often now as I used to since I get so busy with the kids. I am currently teaching my oldest how to read music and play the recorder until she is ready for my Flute since it is a professional and she is so tiny. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I wanted to play the piano for as long as I could remember.  My parents had no money yet still found a way to get me into piano lessons.  After a year of driving me to my grandparent's house EVERY DAY to practice on their piano, my mom and dad found a way to get me a piano.  I've played the piano for almost 30 years now.  

I think you need to find a way to do this so that it doesn't break the bank but still encourages your child to pursue their desire to play.  You don't have to find an instrument in perfect condition.  It doesn't have to be brand new.  As long as it has decent tone and all its strings, your child can learn on it and you can see how serious your child is about learning.  Once you see if your child truly loves it you can spend more money on a quality instrument.

MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I saved it to my desktop... we might be able to do that for Christmas if it's still there... I'll send em an email!

Quoting vwd_johnson:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/3395992835.html

Sorry its not clicky! Im mobile. But that's a $100 violin in Louisville, KY area craigslist.. looks like its in great shape..

I think the student lessons are a great idea. Ask the band teacher about the talented 8th graders. Then speak to the parents if they'd be interested.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

i started playing piano as soon as i was big enough to reach the keys...i have pics of me at 2yr old, sitting there playing....now, 46yrs later, i am a professional piano player, as a HOBBY

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My son started out with a recorder...now he plays 3 diff kinds of guitar, and harmonica too

edelweiss23
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM
I didn't know I was serious until I got into my teens.
We are a musical family. I started piano at 2, moved to violin at 4 an then to harp at 5.
My suggestion is to get him started with piano. If he likes piano, you can move him to violin in a year it so.
Starting with piano will help him to learn how to read music.

I stuck with playing the harp because of the places I got to travel and play music at.
If you want, you can pm me!

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

holy shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... yeah that's more than we make a year. If I just knew he would stick with it it'd be alright and I'd figure it out... but he's only seven ... how did you know you were serious.. how did your parents?

Quoting edelweiss23:

I am a harpist.
My instrument cost me $26,000. I have played for 28 years.
Call your local symphony and see who they recommend for violin.
They can help you find a violin, lessons, etc.
good luck!

My daughter started harp lessons a few years ago and loves it!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

yes, make him stick with it for at least two years...that will tell both of you whether or not this instrument is a good fit. 

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

Well thanks for the wake up call... it wasn't really necessary to be rude, about it, but it is good advice. I haven't done any research yet because I'd like to have some outside opinions, first... hence the post. And for my son, if we spend the money to do this then yes, he must commit, at least for a couple years.

Quoting Anonymous:

a violin is one of the EASIEST to learn to play...whoever told you that has their head up their ass...as a music teacher of young children, it is in your child's best interest to engage his musical interest ASAP...it can only help him in the long run...and it does NOT require a lifelong committment...it can be a hobby, too...many a musician has learned to play LOTS of instruments....after a trial and error period, your son will know whether he likes it or not.  And music stores RENT out stuff too..check into it, and educate yourself some on music and children, because some of what you are believing is a bunch of bullshit

MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Thank you! Yes... I'll find a way for him to do what he wants if he truly loves it. I can't say no when I know he means it.

Quoting Dabberdoo:

I wanted to play the piano for as long as I could remember.  My parents had no money yet still found a way to get me into piano lessons.  After a year of driving me to my grandparent's house EVERY DAY to practice on their piano, my mom and dad found a way to get me a piano.  I've played the piano for almost 30 years now.  

I think you need to find a way to do this so that it doesn't break the bank but still encourages your child to pursue their desire to play.  You don't have to find an instrument in perfect condition.  It doesn't have to be brand new.  As long as it has decent tone and all its strings, your child can learn on it and you can see how serious your child is about learning.  Once you see if your child truly loves it you can spend more money on a quality instrument.

WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM
My mom just rented mine. It's actually not too hard to learn and I enjoyed it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured