Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is Obama called the welfare president?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • 175 Replies
7 moms liked this

i was talking to my mom last night, and i don't understand why conservatives are all up and arms about Obama and welfare/fs/free phones...etc.

i'm from Boston. born and raised. i live in the inner city, and have some friends and family who receieve some type of assistance. i have never recieved it, although there have been a few times in my life (right after college and having a baby) that i could have used it...but i made it work.

in the last few years its become harder than EVER to get any type of government assitance. after just getting out of college and having my son i even tried to get WIC and i couldn't do that (working an entry level customer service job). 

i've had friends who have lost their assitance because they weren't keeping up with the restrictions to have them (for example a day care voucher you must work a certain amount of hours or be in school a certain amount of hours to have one and they really check it and take your voucher away if you don't comply).

now (and my mom confirmed) back in the day...anyone could get welfare and stay on welfare. you barely had to have any proof...and you just had to keep popping out a child every 2 years. anyone could get section 8 living...anyone could get 100s in food stamps. 

from what i see Obama has cracked down more on welfare. the system will never be perfect. there will ALWAYS be those who find loop holes no matter what type of system it is (welfare, tax system, etc).

of course there are more people on assistance. but that's not because there are more people abusing it...it's because there are more people that actually need it because of the economy.

i guess i don't understand what all these conservatives are really complaining about...

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Bump to see replies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM
13 moms liked this

Can you show me where Obama has cracked down on welfare?

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM
**blank stare**
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM
9 moms liked this
Obama has cracked down on welfare???? More people are on welfare now than in previous years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywright88
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

can of worms

lilbit53009
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

i mean since he's come into office it's gotten harder to get welfare

i'm just saying what i see in daily life...it was easier to get welfare years ago (atleast where i live). it's really hard to actually get it now

Quoting Anonymous:

Can you show me where Obama has cracked down on welfare?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM
14 moms liked this
Because people have chosen to forget that welfare came way before Obama,and will continue on way after him.
lilbit53009
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

because more people need it...how is that hard to see?

i see people complaining that people abuse the system (not that it actually exists). i'm talking about those people saying "i work everyday so all you can sit on your ass with your iphones, tattoos, liquor, and send your kids to daycare for free"

Quoting Tooth_Inspector:

Obama has cracked down on welfare???? More people are on welfare now than in previous years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

By CNN's Jack Cafferty

More than 100 million people in the United States of America get welfare from the federal government. 100 million.

According to the Weekly Standard, Senate Republicans say that the federal government administers nearly "80 different overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs."

This figure of 100 million people does not include those who only receive Social Security or Medicare.

The most popular welfare programs are food stamps and Medicaid, with the number of recipients in both these programs skyrocketing in the last decade. Food stamp recipients alone jumped from 17 million in 2000 to 45 million in 2011.

And these 100 million people on welfare include citizens and non-citizens.

In fact, a new report by the Center for Immigration Studies finds that 36% of immigrant-headed households get at least one form of welfare. That's compared to 23% of native-born American households.

lilbit53009
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

for what? it's not that hard

it was easier to get welfare before Obama became president. now it just so happens that more people are on it because more people actually need it. but he's not just handing it out. people were abusing the system before Obama and they will be after it. i don't see where he's making it any easier for people to abuse the system like all these conservatives are claiming.

Quoting hautemama83:

**blank stare**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)