Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Putting down a deposit on a puppy that's not even been conceived yet!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is that dumb!!? This is a very very good breeder. Her pups go fast and I want to make sure I get one. They estimate she will get pregnant in February and give birth in April. So I'm going down there tomorrow to put a deposit down.

Eeek I'm so excited and nervous st the same time!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (61-70):
Emilytrademark
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

IDK there are so many sweet puppies in shelters and pounds that need homes, I would think twice about paying a breeder.

mrscass0416
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

try $495 for the breeds we are looking for just to adopt. 

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Here it costs over $200 to adopt a dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

SB2217
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I plan on doing that for our next dog. We got our dog from a breeder but she had just been born when we put the deposit down. She is just amazing. Couldn't ask for a better dog! And I love her breeder and all the care and love she puts into the dogs and the breedings. She has expensive but so worth it!
I would never get a dog from a shelter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
As they should be. Who doesn't do at least an annual check up at the vet? Its very irresponsible to have a pet and not get it proper health car.

Quoting lhiannan:

They're very picky-my parents have a huge house in the country with a fenced in yard, but because they didn't get physicals for their dogs every year without fail, they got turned down by a rescue for border collies (even though they had several border collies in the past-2 died from cancer, the other 2 died at a ripe old age for a dog)...

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I can't fathom buying a dog when so many dogs in shelters and rescues need homes...

Acid
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, they lose more than they make.

Shots, deworming, food if the female has too many puppies, vet visits, puppy food (and not the shitty shit), shipping if they do that, taking a puppy back if the owners can't or don't look after it (because most breeders have a clause in their contract that allows them to remove a neglected puppy or dog from a home), food for the lactating females...because they eat puppy food to increase their nutrients while the are feeding the pups) possible emergency c sections...most bully breeds need c sections to have pups....the list goes on and on and on.

Wanna try again?

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no such thing as a " Good Breeder they are all doing it for money.
Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

mommy_ruggs09
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
It's not an excuse but all the shelters around here the pups go super fast. And yes I have adopted both pure breeds and mutts. My 1.5 year old is lab/beagle/mastiff/st. Bernard. So you can judge me all you like but you don't know my situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

there are many many puppies at the shelter...so yeah just keep coming with the excuses.

Quoting mommy_ruggs09:

Dh and I plan on doing this when we go to get our German Shepard. We want good lines and minimal Heath problems.

And with shelter dogs, my family has rescued a number of dogs from shelters. But they all ended up with too many problems and ended up getting put down at a young age with me being the one to take the last 2 in. Im not saying all shelter dogs are bad, but we have never had good luck. I would rather get a dog that I know I raised and know what they are going to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

oh ok. yeah it's probably worth it ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Great Pyrenees:)

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

what kind of dog is it? 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Um...yeah let me dig them out.  She's still a puppy, and her fur has changed color slightly.  She's VERY interesting to just look at.  We paid $2000 for her b/c of her coloration!  And she has blue eyes, though that doesn't show up on camera as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

We're getting a Great Pyrenees but omg I was seriously considering a Newfie!!!! Any pics??

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

No, it is not dumb.  It is actually how many professional breeders work.  They don't want to get the dog pregnant and have puppies sitting around unwanted!  They will try to time the breeding by when they get interested parties and how long it has been since the dog last had a litter.  They require the deposit for a few reasons:
1.  To ensure you ARE a serious, interested party
2.  If you back out AFTER the pups are concieved/born the breeder needs money to home and care for them until they can find a new owner.

What breed are you getting?  I've got a Newfoundland.  We didn't put a deposit down, but we got a rare grey pup.  She's got blonde on the fur between the pads of her feet now, too! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Ok. Think as you wish. But I know this breeder is good.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no such thing as a " Good Breeder they are all doing it for money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you.

Yes there is a contract I must sign. It's lengthy too. I would never support a puppy mill or bad breeder.

Quoting Acid:

I also rescue.

The OP isn't buying a dog from a shelter, or a backyard breeder.   Obviously, if the breeder has a waiting list, she doesn't just sell her dogs to anyone and will have, in a contract, that hte puppy or dog must be returned to her.

I love shelter dogs...but, I wanted a certain breed, I did my homework, I researched and waited four years before I got my dog.

Not all people who buy dogs are assholes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

JC2223
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Our local SPCA had over 7000 homeless dogs and cats go through the shelter in 2011 and are already over 5000 for this year. So many good animals lost their lives because there aren't enough homes to adopt them or funds to help save them and they have to be put down. I could never live with myself purchasing an animal knowing so many homeless ones are being killed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)