Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Putting down a deposit on a puppy that's not even been conceived yet!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is that dumb!!? This is a very very good breeder. Her pups go fast and I want to make sure I get one. They estimate she will get pregnant in February and give birth in April. So I'm going down there tomorrow to put a deposit down.

Eeek I'm so excited and nervous st the same time!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (171-177):
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM
This

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I can't fathom buying a dog when so many dogs in shelters and rescues need homes...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fostermomoftwo
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

i did that..we got first pick of a female.

Mashnut3161
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Quoting Acid:

Actually, you did. 

I highlighted it in red for you.

You even tried to say your kids were smarter than me. 

I also don't think I know anything...I do know how to spell dachshund.

Quoting Mashnut3161:

I didnt get defensive over u correcting my spelling. U called my friends backyard breeders bc their dog had one litter. I just dont like people who think they know everything. So hatred is an easier emotion to show. It takes less energy

Quoting Acid:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Thanks for the giggle.  I didn't know that correcting someone's spelling can make them so defensive.

Perhaps your children, who have a higher IQ than me, can teach you to relax, pull your underwear out of your ass and spell words too.

Fucking best response of the day. 

Oh and by the way, I don't feel all high and mighty; but I do have a tingly feeling from making feel the need to insult a total stranger over the internet. 

Quoting Mashnut3161:

oh no. you corrected my spelling. I shall cry now. Oh no I won't. Do you feel all high and mighty now. Well have fun. I will be back to read what ever else you wanna say. But I have to go pick up my children. Which I am pretty sure, by their test scores. Have a higher IQ then you. BYE BYE

the fact that you still care about this conversation is amazing.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting harehelper:

I'm actually not looking for any dog.

My friend has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on her purebread Boston terriers due to medical issues. Any dog can be a money pit, but genetic issues are well known for many purebread breeds.

I have had rescues that we're purebreads and mutts.

I have loved all my dogs, but I'll stick with a shelter or rescue dog personally.

Well, that was more of a general "you" than a specific one. :) Yes, it is true that a lot of breeds have genetic issues. That is why when researching a breeder, you always check to make sure the breeder has done testing for those issues on the breeding dogs before ever having a litter out of/by a dog.

Plus the fact that the mixed breed dog can have all the same genetic issues as any purebred dog can, and if you have two different breeds in a a dog, you have the possibility of getting the genetic problems from both of those breeds in one dog.

Any dog, whether purebred or mixed, can have serous health issues. Either can be awesome pets, too. LIke I said, it's all in what you are looking for. If you want a great pet, go for the shelter dog, or do a breed specific rescue. I have learned I can't take in any more mixed breed dogs because every one I have ever had has killed my livestock, I live on a farm. So the two mutts I have here will live their lives out here, but after that I will stick with my favorites, collies.

Sorry, that sort of turned into a book, didn't it? LOL

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I hear you and can see how these issues play out differently on a farm.

My "best" dog hands down was a rescued pointer, although our sheltie takes second to her....

Right now, I'm the only one in my family "open" to a dog - so I'll just have to bide my time until more in my clan come to the "dog" side!  LOL!

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting harehelper:

I'm actually not looking for any dog.

My friend has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on her purebread Boston terriers due to medical issues. Any dog can be a money pit, but genetic issues are well known for many purebread breeds.

I have had rescues that we're purebreads and mutts.

I have loved all my dogs, but I'll stick with a shelter or rescue dog personally.

Well, that was more of a general "you" than a specific one. :) Yes, it is true that a lot of breeds have genetic issues. That is why when researching a breeder, you always check to make sure the breeder has done testing for those issues on the breeding dogs before ever having a litter out of/by a dog.

Plus the fact that the mixed breed dog can have all the same genetic issues as any purebred dog can, and if you have two different breeds in a a dog, you have the possibility of getting the genetic problems from both of those breeds in one dog.

Any dog, whether purebred or mixed, can have serous health issues. Either can be awesome pets, too. LIke I said, it's all in what you are looking for. If you want a great pet, go for the shelter dog, or do a breed specific rescue. I have learned I can't take in any more mixed breed dogs because every one I have ever had has killed my livestock, I live on a farm. So the two mutts I have here will live their lives out here, but after that I will stick with my favorites, collies.

Sorry, that sort of turned into a book, didn't it? LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Because a half hour at the shelter with a dog that has been exposed to who knows what is no guarantee. Temperament is of utmost importance to us, as is raising them from a puppy.

I've had mutts, but again, raised as puppies were great dogs. We also tried a shelter and got the worse dog ever, even though our visits at the shelter went fine. In the end, he was removed from our home and euthanized because he bit my daughter on two separate occasions and they could not adopt him out knowing he had bitten someone.

Quoting Anonymous:

With dogs being killed everyday, it really kills me that people still go to breeders!!! Why are mutts so evil! They are the most loving, caring dogs! They will be THE BEST dog you will ever have! It is SICK what people pay for a dog & why breeders are even in business! AKC dogs are usually the most sickly & usually don't even live as long!!!

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

This times a million.

Not for me.   The breeders I've gotten dogs from are all heavily involved in rescue, rehoming and training and put in a lot of time supporting the local rescues.   When I pay them for a pup I'm supporting their rescue efforts.

There is a huge amount of rescue work done by decent dog breeders which some people seem to very willfully ignore.

In truth good dog breeders work in a strong network with rescues and rehoming and retraining groups.   They also do an immense amount of education and outreach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)