Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Putting down a deposit on a puppy that's not even been conceived yet!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is that dumb!!? This is a very very good breeder. Her pups go fast and I want to make sure I get one. They estimate she will get pregnant in February and give birth in April. So I'm going down there tomorrow to put a deposit down.

Eeek I'm so excited and nervous st the same time!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Do you get your deposit back if she doesn't get pregnant or if you end up not liking any of the pups? Will she reserve them until you pick out the one you like best?

Acid
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not true at all.

Dogs live as long as dogs live.  Some live for 2 years and get cancer others live a healthy life until they die of natural causes at 17. 

This happens in mutts and purebreds alike. 

Anyone who actually believes what you wrote is kinda stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

With dogs being killed everyday, it really kills me that people still go to breeders!!! Why are mutts so evil! They are the most loving, caring dogs! They will be THE BEST dog you will ever have! It is SICK what people pay for a dog & why breeders are even in business! AKC dogs are usually the most sickly & usually don't even live as long!!!

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Thank you.

Yes there is a contract I must sign. It's lengthy too. I would never support a puppy mill or bad breeder.

Quoting Acid:

I also rescue.

The OP isn't buying a dog from a shelter, or a backyard breeder.   Obviously, if the breeder has a waiting list, she doesn't just sell her dogs to anyone and will have, in a contract, that hte puppy or dog must be returned to her.

I love shelter dogs...but, I wanted a certain breed, I did my homework, I researched and waited four years before I got my dog.

Not all people who buy dogs are assholes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Quoting divorcedtwice:

I resent that last sentence.. I have An akc lab.. She has never bren suck.and the best lab i have every had.... and yes i paid some.money for her...... Get over it...

Quoting Anonymous:

With dogs being killed everyday, it really kills me that people still go to breeders!!! Why are mutts so evil! They are the most loving, caring dogs! They will be THE BEST dog you will ever have! It is SICK what people pay for a dog & why breeders are even in business! AKC dogs are usually the most sickly & usually don't even live as long!!!

My Boston is from an owner who could no longer take care of him and also AKC....best dog I have ever had. He is actually my husband's certified therapy dog. I see nothing wrong with a family selecting the breed that is best for their family and doing their research on how to obtain such a pet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I have and unfortunately all our shelters are full of pits. That's not what i want :(

Quoting MamatoKy:

Oh and I must say - you should really look into adopting. =( too many dogs need good homes!

JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We put a deposit down before one litter but requested and certain color and sex and so did several others so we ended up having to wait for another litter after that....so in other words no its not dumb at all LOL

Famousglm714
by Gina on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I can't fathom buying a dog when so many dogs in shelters and rescues need homes...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Here it costs over $200 to adopt a dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao I am glad your dog has never bren suck as that doesn't sound pleasant.

Quoting divorcedtwice:

I resent that last sentence.. I have An akc lab.. She has never bren suck.and the best lab i have every had.... and yes i paid some.money for her...... Get over it...

Quoting Anonymous:

perezamberly
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM
This!

Quoting Peytonsmom6308:

If your breeder is good and she's breeding for good physical qualities and temperament them it is totally worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN