Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Putting down a deposit on a puppy that's not even been conceived yet!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is that dumb!!? This is a very very good breeder. Her pups go fast and I want to make sure I get one. They estimate she will get pregnant in February and give birth in April. So I'm going down there tomorrow to put a deposit down.

Eeek I'm so excited and nervous st the same time!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Any suggestions?? It's gonna be a male

I was thinking Elliot, Elijah, Xavier something along those lines. But I'm open to suggestions!!!

Quoting Pumpkinbean:

I love GP!! Now you have to think of a cool name :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I have done this for every dog I have ever had. I wont get a dog from a shelter.....

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I prefer to adopt from a shelter. There are so many waiting animals in desparate need of forever homes. And you would be AMAZED the number of pure-breds available! Plus, you would be saving a Life.

mommy_ruggs09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Dh and I plan on doing this when we go to get our German Shepard. We want good lines and minimal Heath problems.

And with shelter dogs, my family has rescued a number of dogs from shelters. But they all ended up with too many problems and ended up getting put down at a young age with me being the one to take the last 2 in. Im not saying all shelter dogs are bad, but we have never had good luck. I would rather get a dog that I know I raised and know what they are going to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this
There is no such thing as a " Good Breeder they are all doing it for money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you.

Yes there is a contract I must sign. It's lengthy too. I would never support a puppy mill or bad breeder.

Quoting Acid:

I also rescue.

The OP isn't buying a dog from a shelter, or a backyard breeder.   Obviously, if the breeder has a waiting list, she doesn't just sell her dogs to anyone and will have, in a contract, that hte puppy or dog must be returned to her.

I love shelter dogs...but, I wanted a certain breed, I did my homework, I researched and waited four years before I got my dog.

Not all people who buy dogs are assholes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

lhiannan
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

They're very picky-my parents have a huge house in the country with a fenced in yard, but because they didn't get physicals for their dogs every year without fail, they got turned down by a rescue for border collies (even though they had several border collies in the past-2 died from cancer, the other 2 died at a ripe old age for a dog)...

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I can't fathom buying a dog when so many dogs in shelters and rescues need homes...

Acid
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome.

I can understand both sides.  My brain explodes when I see people spending thousands of dollars on a Labradoodle, or a Bernedoodle or whatever fucking doodle there is now and then being all excited.

But, a Pyr or an English Bulldog, or even a Lab that comes from good breeders and goes to people who are doing their homework is different.

I love Pyrs by the way.  They are gorgeous dogs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you.

Yes there is a contract I must sign. It's lengthy too. I would never support a puppy mill or bad breeder.

Quoting Acid:

I also rescue.

The OP isn't buying a dog from a shelter, or a backyard breeder.   Obviously, if the breeder has a waiting list, she doesn't just sell her dogs to anyone and will have, in a contract, that hte puppy or dog must be returned to her.

I love shelter dogs...but, I wanted a certain breed, I did my homework, I researched and waited four years before I got my dog.

Not all people who buy dogs are assholes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

elizabeth.mary
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Can you get your deposit back if you don't like any of the puppies?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
there are many many puppies at the shelter...so yeah just keep coming with the excuses.

Quoting mommy_ruggs09:

Dh and I plan on doing this when we go to get our German Shepard. We want good lines and minimal Heath problems.

And with shelter dogs, my family has rescued a number of dogs from shelters. But they all ended up with too many problems and ended up getting put down at a young age with me being the one to take the last 2 in. Im not saying all shelter dogs are bad, but we have never had good luck. I would rather get a dog that I know I raised and know what they are going to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Yes to all your questions:).

And once I pick out the pup I want (she will help me in deciding since she knows or will know the pup best) I can visit him as often as I want.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you get your deposit back if she doesn't get pregnant or if you end up not liking any of the pups? Will she reserve them until you pick out the one you like best?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured