Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Putting down a deposit on a puppy that's not even been conceived yet!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is that dumb!!? This is a very very good breeder. Her pups go fast and I want to make sure I get one. They estimate she will get pregnant in February and give birth in April. So I'm going down there tomorrow to put a deposit down.

Eeek I'm so excited and nervous st the same time!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (81-90):
StephanAndCoral
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Same here!

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Here it costs over $200 to adopt a dog.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's dumb. I really hate seeing people paying someone to bring animals into this world when people like me spend hundreds of hours a week trying to keep animals from being put down in a shelter.
Your overpriced puppy isn't going to be any better than the $20 puppies in the animal shelter.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mashnut3161
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

we did. And then we actually got to go pick the puppy after they were born. We have a full blood, mini Daschund. We only paid $100.00 and they are worth at least $300.00

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM
I'm in love! Beautiful dog!!!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Um...yeah let me dig them out.  She's still a puppy, and her fur has changed color slightly.  She's VERY interesting to just look at.  We paid $2000 for her b/c of her coloration!  And she has blue eyes, though that doesn't show up on camera as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

We're getting a Great Pyrenees but omg I was seriously considering a Newfie!!!! Any pics??

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

No, it is not dumb.  It is actually how many professional breeders work.  They don't want to get the dog pregnant and have puppies sitting around unwanted!  They will try to time the breeding by when they get interested parties and how long it has been since the dog last had a litter.  They require the deposit for a few reasons:
1.  To ensure you ARE a serious, interested party
2.  If you back out AFTER the pups are concieved/born the breeder needs money to home and care for them until they can find a new owner.

What breed are you getting?  I've got a Newfoundland.  We didn't put a deposit down, but we got a rare grey pup.  She's got blonde on the fur between the pads of her feet now, too! 

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Omg so cute! I seriously want a Newfie!!! I have heard so many wonderful things about the breed. Plus I live on a lake and apparently they love water. This is a dog that I would put a deposit on before it was conceived as well. 

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Um...yeah let me dig them out.  She's still a puppy, and her fur has changed color slightly.  She's VERY interesting to just look at.  We paid $2000 for her b/c of her coloration!  And she has blue eyes, though that doesn't show up on camera as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

We're getting a Great Pyrenees but omg I was seriously considering a Newfie!!!! Any pics??

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

No, it is not dumb.  It is actually how many professional breeders work.  They don't want to get the dog pregnant and have puppies sitting around unwanted!  They will try to time the breeding by when they get interested parties and how long it has been since the dog last had a litter.  They require the deposit for a few reasons:
1.  To ensure you ARE a serious, interested party
2.  If you back out AFTER the pups are concieved/born the breeder needs money to home and care for them until they can find a new owner.

What breed are you getting?  I've got a Newfoundland.  We didn't put a deposit down, but we got a rare grey pup.  She's got blonde on the fur between the pads of her feet now, too! 

usmc.momma
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
The only reason I got my lab from a breeder is because it was cheaper than rescuing and older lab from the nearest lab rescue. We only spent $350. But she only breeds her females once a year and doesn't it for the love of the breed. Our next dog will be a shelter dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Acid
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if you've seen the movie The Emperor's New Groove, but if you see anyone singing their own theme music and carrying a sack, don't mind me...errr.them.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

mommy_ruggs09
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Yea. We are talking about looking outside the country for our pup. I know it will cost more, but we want a good dog. I grew up with one and loved her to death. I was really upset when we had to get rid of her when we moved from like 60 acres to in town.

Quoting Acid:

Be Careful with your Shepherd's breeder.

In their case, they are pretty popular and you do have some shitty breeders.

Make sure you ask to see OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) records.  This will determine if the dogs that were used in the breeding program have been scanned and xrayed for Dysplasia. 

You can ask for the dog's name and all you have to do is put the female and male's names into the search bar and, if the dog was scanned and xrayed, the results will be on the website.

Quoting mommy_ruggs09:

It's not an excuse but all the shelters around here the pups go super fast. And yes I have adopted both pure breeds and mutts. My 1.5 year old is lab/beagle/mastiff/st. Bernard. So you can judge me all you like but you don't know my situation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM
I honestly don't remember.

Quoting morrigan914:

Is the breeder ASPCA certified?
Mashnut3161
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Quoting Mashnut3161:

we did. And then we actually got to go pick the puppy after they were born. We have a full blood, mini Daschund. We only paid $100.00 and they are worth at least $300.00

the people that I bought my from, they don't breed, Their dog just happen to get pregnant a week after they brought their full blood male home. They had him scheduled to go get fixed. I guess he did his thing before they had a chance to do theirs. lol. They don't plan on having anymore. They got both of their dogs fixed . Kept the puppy and sold the other 5

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Pup is $750 and she wants $100.

Quoting Anonymous:

How much is the dog and how much are you giving them?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN