Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fired because she voted for Obama...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So I just heard today from my mom that her cousin (so my second cousin) who is a huge Obama supporter and campaigned tirelessly for him like most of my family did went to work Weds (she works as a Nanny fulltime) and the mother said to her "its your fault and people like you Romney lost you are fired get out." I just heard about this today, I guess her employers didn't care about her political affiliation when they thought Romney was gonna win. (Oh and she lives in a swing state PA) so that is why she says they fired her now, but is this illegal? Since its a nanny job not much she can do right? I can't believe what sour grapes her employers much have had to fire her for being a democrat. I mean seriously...
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I think i would talk to a lawyer if I were her. You can't fire someone for their political choices.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this
The problem is they never told her they had an issue with it til their guy lost! SOOOOO they should either have kept her on or paid her for her time for a couple weeks since they had to be such big babies about the whole thing suddenly. They never should have hired her to begin with if they didn't like her political affiliations she never kept them secret.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't have someone with different values than my own watching my children either. I see nothing wrong with it.

winkyloafer
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM
I don't think she could be fired legally for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah.. that's bs. I don't think there's anything she can do about it though :(

Sadly, I know people who are hardcore enough that they'd probably do the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Yeah we are in OH, she is in PA I know in OH you can be fired for anything technically but I think over something like that an employer would still get in trouble here and have to pay severance.

Quoting km1970:

I believe PA is a right to work state..therefore someone can be fired without a reason.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

It's terrible. Hopefully they didn't get rid of an otherwise wonderful nanny only to hire one that will put their kids in harms way like the one in news a few weeks ago.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM

if it is a at will state there is probably nothing she can do. and I am not sure but since she was the only "employee" I don't think she would even fall under the Equal Oppurtunity laws.

I mean it sucks but would she really want to work for people that would do that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Wrongful termination? I am not a lawyer I don't know that's why I don't think its worth much but they should at least have to pay a fee or something.

Quoting katiehopson:

What can she sue for? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I mean I feel like even though its a nanny job she could still probably sue, but it seems like a lot of hassle. She cried about it a lot to my mom I guess, she said she felt so helpless because she did nothing wrong and these people always loved her til Wed morning when she showed up for work and they know her affiliations and looked furious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Yeah I'm gonna tell her to do that I think. She needs at least a consultation.

Quoting wkukid:

I think i would talk to a lawyer if I were her. You can't fire someone for their political choices.
katiehopson
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess. A lawyer wouldn't have actual proof that's the reason she got fired.. Just words. They could easily say they didn't need her anymore, they're fine without a nanny. I mean, yeah, it sucks, but if the other posts are true, they could have fired her for any trivial thing they wanted without any recourse. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrongful termination? I am not a lawyer I don't know that's why I don't think its worth much but they should at least have to pay a fee or something.

Quoting katiehopson:

What can she sue for? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I mean I feel like even though its a nanny job she could still probably sue, but it seems like a lot of hassle. She cried about it a lot to my mom I guess, she said she felt so helpless because she did nothing wrong and these people always loved her til Wed morning when she showed up for work and they know her affiliations and looked furious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)