Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fired because she voted for Obama...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So I just heard today from my mom that her cousin (so my second cousin) who is a huge Obama supporter and campaigned tirelessly for him like most of my family did went to work Weds (she works as a Nanny fulltime) and the mother said to her "its your fault and people like you Romney lost you are fired get out." I just heard about this today, I guess her employers didn't care about her political affiliation when they thought Romney was gonna win. (Oh and she lives in a swing state PA) so that is why she says they fired her now, but is this illegal? Since its a nanny job not much she can do right? I can't believe what sour grapes her employers much have had to fire her for being a democrat. I mean seriously...
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Honestly, even if the law says they can't.... Would she really want to work there? I can only assume they would mot make it easy for her... And if they act that way about an election, what if something more important happens?

Just go on and get another job and leave it to rest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM
My cousin Sharon has all grown kids and is older like my mom in her 50s, she did a great job raising her kids, and I do hope for that family's sake they find someone decent. They will be lucky to find a republican who works for likely nanny wages.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's terrible. Hopefully they didn't get rid of an otherwise wonderful nanny only to hire one that will put their kids in harms way like the one in news a few weeks ago.

Borne_Wonky
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I'd have her talk to the EEOC if nothing else. They may be able to tell her if she could file a complaint against her employers or not. 

EEOC
1801 L St., NW
Washington, DC 20507
202-663-4900, 202-663-4944 (TTY)

Dial 1-800-669-4000 to be connected with your EEOC local office.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM
True, I'm not close to her like my mom is, I know she is just upset about the lost wages and its not like with a private employer she can claim unemployment to make up for the time without pay sadly. But she will be happier I am sure when she finds otherwise employment just soooo sad someone would fire her for that.

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

Honestly, even if the law says they can't.... Would she really want to work there? I can only assume they would mot make it easy for her... And if they act that way about an election, what if something more important happens?

Just go on and get another job and leave it to rest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Thanks!

Quoting Borne_Wonky:

I'd have her talk to the EEOC if nothing else. They may be able to tell her if she could file a complaint against her employers or not. 

EEOC
1801 L St., NW
Washington, DC 20507
202-663-4900, 202-663-4944 (TTY)

Dial 1-800-669-4000 to be connected with your EEOC local office.

Pandapanda
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this

There's a reason you go into a private booth to vote. Nobody is supposed to know your vote. 

momwith2monkeys
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

i don't understand why people get so defensive when it come to politic. I am a democratic, i work with 2 girl that are republican and we still talk and bullshit at work, i don't hold it against them and they don't hold it against me that i voted for Obama. My neighbor voted for Romney and we voted for Obama and we still talk, hell he is actually very nice. He actually helped us out yesterday. ( our AC hasn't been working and his AC man came to his house to service his AC and he talk to him and had him look at our for free). I try not to talk politic with friends and so forth if we don't agree because it is something trivial to argue about and loss a friend over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM
that's true. Its not like they wrote out why they were firing her...

Quoting katiehopson:

I guess. A lawyer wouldn't have actual proof that's the reason she got fired.. Just words. They could easily say they didn't need her anymore, they're fine without a nanny. I mean, yeah, it sucks, but if the other posts are true, they could have fired her for any trivial thing they wanted without any recourse. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrongful termination? I am not a lawyer I don't know that's why I don't think its worth much but they should at least have to pay a fee or something.

Quoting katiehopson:

What can she sue for? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I mean I feel like even though its a nanny job she could still probably sue, but it seems like a lot of hassle. She cried about it a lot to my mom I guess, she said she felt so helpless because she did nothing wrong and these people always loved her til Wed morning when she showed up for work and they know her affiliations and looked furious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Unless you campaign for someone like myself and my family does.

Quoting Pandapanda:

There's a reason you go into a private booth to vote. Nobody is supposed to know your vote. 

momwith2monkeys
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

All because someone doesn't vote the same way you do doens't mean that their values are different and i would never fire someone over something like that especially if she was a good worker and took care of the kids. How she treats the kids is what matter; not who she voted for.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't have someone with different values than my own watching my children either. I see nothing wrong with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)