Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fired because she voted for Obama...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So I just heard today from my mom that her cousin (so my second cousin) who is a huge Obama supporter and campaigned tirelessly for him like most of my family did went to work Weds (she works as a Nanny fulltime) and the mother said to her "its your fault and people like you Romney lost you are fired get out." I just heard about this today, I guess her employers didn't care about her political affiliation when they thought Romney was gonna win. (Oh and she lives in a swing state PA) so that is why she says they fired her now, but is this illegal? Since its a nanny job not much she can do right? I can't believe what sour grapes her employers much have had to fire her for being a democrat. I mean seriously...
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lordgodempress
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Even though they are just a family? I thought to get unemployment it had to be a corporation? Well if that's true she should def apply because she deserves it.

Quoting funny_girl3:

I live in PA.  As long as she is working legit (not under the table) she can apply for unemployment, and she'll probably get it.  I would apply just to stick it to the jerks who screwed me.

Actually if she wants to go there, she can go for unemployment and the family has probably not been paying unemployment insurance so will more than likely get into a lot of trouble.    If she is not a business technically they are her employers and should have been paying that, workers comp and other things.  I am self employed and had to go through extra steps to avoid being considered my clients' employees.

thatgirl70
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM
It's shitty, but as nanny, what can you do really? If it was illegal to fire her for that they would have come up with another reason.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Lol nanny wages? What exactly is that supposed to mean? I make 1000 a week 52 weeks a year as a nanny.

Quoting Anonymous:

My cousin Sharon has all grown kids and is older like my mom in her 50s, she did a great job raising her kids, and I do hope for that family's sake they find someone decent. They will be lucky to find a republican who works for likely nanny wages.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's terrible. Hopefully they didn't get rid of an otherwise wonderful nanny only to hire one that will put their kids in harms way like the one in news a few weeks ago.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM
It is hard to find people that actually care for the children and not just about the money. You should never get rid of good help if you have it, especially over petty reasons.

Quoting Anonymous:

My cousin Sharon has all grown kids and is older like my mom in her 50s, she did a great job raising her kids, and I do hope for that family's sake they find someone decent. They will be lucky to find a republican who works for likely nanny wages.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's terrible. Hopefully they didn't get rid of an otherwise wonderful nanny only to hire one that will put their kids in harms way like the one in news a few weeks ago.

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

it's not right. she should have kept her political affiliation private tho.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Well she has a bumper sticker just like me. She didn't go into work trying to convert her employers but what she is supposed to alter to car to make her bosses happy when they never even acted like they cared before? And you not feeling sorry for her is just you being a bitch. I hope the next time you wear the wrong color your boss hates they fire you, or they hear you are cheering for a rival sportsteam.

Quoting Roxygurl:

I am a nanny and funny enough my political views have never once come up. My job has nothing to do with my political views so I feel no need to tell my boss my views. They don't change how I feed the kids lunch or drive them to swim or wash clothes.

I honestly don't feel bad for her because she never should've mentioned her political affiliation.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM

There isn't much she can do, but if they use a service for nannies or if she sees an add with them requesting a nanny she can in fact give people information about what kind of people they are as long as she is not lying. She can also take action if they give her a bad recommendation based solely on her political affiliation.

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM

That is why everyone should keep their political view away from their freaking place of work. And yes, they can fire her no matter the reason. They donĀ“t even have to give her one. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM
You aren't making 250,000 dollars a year that's what it means lol.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Lol nanny wages? What exactly is that supposed to mean? I make 1000 a week 52 weeks a year as a nanny.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM
As far as I know her employers found out because she had a bumper sticker not because she goes in there talking about Obama all day long.

Quoting ripemango:

it's not right. she should have kept her political affiliation private tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN