Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home/cyber schoolers who have kids who get their work done in 1.5-3 hrs/day

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM
  • 42 Replies

Do you live in a state that doesn't have minimum 'class' time? Or do you lie when you report the time?

I only ask because I have seen quite a few people in my state (PA) say their kids only do work for 1.5 hrs and then they are done. PA has a minimum class time for ALL students (regardless of where/how they are educated). So how do you get away with that?

Also, please don't tell me "Well we cook together which is science. We also go to museums, etc". I do those things too, that's called being a parent and spending family time together. Not educating your child (although it does do that as well). 

ETA to add this link: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/022/chapter11/s11.3.html

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I homeschool and we are schooling at least 4-5 hours a day.  First grade!!!

all2gethernow
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I live in NC, also lived in MD for years while homeschooling. I never had a requirement for hours spent.

I have 4 kids, lifelong homeschoolers, 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th grade. We do 2.5-4 hours of "sit down lessons" a day. That doesn't include a myriad a activities, sports, etc. They are at grade level or above, and scored in the 98-99 percentile on state testing for the last 2 years.

I only have to report attendance.

GoddessAnna
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this
MD would like for us to work for at least 5 hours, but it is not law, merely a recommendation.

Field trips to museums do not count as family time for us if it it just my homeschooler and I. That's educational time and considered as such during my portfolio review.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I don't think my state has a minimum requirement. My kids chose to go to "regular" school now, but when I did homeschool I don't remember that being on the list.
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM
You must allot 4 hours but generally it doesn't take over 2 hours to cover all subjects. As long as you cover all the required subjects they don't care. You aren't being dishonest, you can't get into trouble as long as you follow the guidelines.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I don't see how it applies to homeschool parents. That seems to be the requirements for public and private schools.

wolfinhell
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Cooking does the following subjects: Reading, Mathematics, Science.  It's a sensory center (along with sand and water play, and wood working) according to several of my ECE textbooks. Going to the musuem you can learn possibly art history, natural history, regular history and also it being a field trip. 

My family/personal blog: Explorers of Learning.  Creative Writing blog: Blood Shadow Writings. Author of Silent Stalker (March 19, 2007) and Locked In (September 19, 2011)-check out my website Silent Lair for more information on my books and future works.  American Muslim revert (October 1, 2006), author, amature astronomer, world traveler, sister-wife, married to love of my life who is a Saudi Muslim, love books and reading, and in an inter-racial/cross-cultural marriage.

Abbysmom1215
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Why do you care how people educate their children in their own home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM

My state does not have minimum time they must be doing work. The only thing my state requires is that homeschoolers in grades 3 thru 9 take the state manadated standarized tests in the spring. Homeschoolers only have to take the Math and Reading sections

GoddessAnna
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't even understand how it would take that long 5 days a week to homeschool. Maybe it's because I only homeschool one, but we hardly make it past 2 hours of traditional-type instruction a day. However, we do a lot of talking about social studies and the world around us, but since that rarely happens in our school room, it might not count with the purists. Day before election day, we spent over two hours at our favorite restaurant talking about politics during breakfast; because she was engaged and asking questions, she retained almost everything from that conversation. She learned: that's what reviewers are looking for ultimately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)