Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm just not in the Christmas spirit this year.

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

I usually look forward to the holidays.  I've always started buying a few things here and there beginning in August or September up till Dec. but this time, I've bought nothing.  Our cost of food has gone up.  Our gas is still high.  Paying for power and gas has risen.  Taxes are about to go up in January.  I'm in the mindset of saving my money and closing my wallet, rather than spending on Christmas presents.  We hardly got any grocery items today because the cost of food has skyrocketed.  It's going to be a very lean Christmas.  I don't feel like buying a thing when I've got kids I have to feed first. We are the tighly squeezed middle class that is being squeezed even more.

and no we are not on food stamps.  

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I stopped making a big deal about it when I realized I was stressing myself out. Trying to get gifts for everybody, spending up all my money on gifts when my bills are due. No more of that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

I stopped making a big deal about it when I realized I was stressing myself out. Trying to get gifts for everybody, spending up all my money on gifts when my bills are due. No more of that.

well, kids are just going to have to be disappointed this year. I've never gotten an exhorbitant amount of stuff. Just enough to make them happy.  Also, two of my kids have Dec. birthdays so there's more to buy.  That's why I've always started early.  but, I really don't feel it's the smart thing to do this time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I'm in the same position. I usually have the house decorated. My dh is losing his job 12-28 so he is trying to get a new one ASAP. We also have 2 kids with bdays in December . Happy holidays to us....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I'm trying to find a away out of my marriage because he's a passive agressive psycho! Ho Ho Fucking Ho

superwoman8977
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I hate Thanksgiving and Christmas and we arent doing either this year.  Kids need to learn they dont need all the crap of the holidays.

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I haven't been able to get into it for a few years now. I make it special for the kids but a fake it. The ex has officially sucked all the joy I used to have out of this time of year.
romalove
by SakePrincess on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I feel for you.  It's hard to feel good when things are so stressful.  First, just set a budget you can handle and stick to it.  If your kids are little, they don't know how much things cost and you can get them small things from Dollar Tree or those type of stores and they will be happy (I know, I did this for years when mine were little).  See if there are things you can make.  Can you knit or crochet?  How about scrapbook?  Can you make a color book out of printed out pics from the computer, for example, put a fun cover on it personalized for a little child, and a pack of crayons?  There are lots of ways to economize and make it fun.

I hope things get better for you soon.  :-

Pink.Sunshine
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Yes im not going in debt based on one day out of the year. So I'll do what I can and everybody else can get a Candy Cane with a Christmas Card.

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

well, kids are just going to have to be disappointed this year. I've never gotten an exhorbitant amount of stuff. Just enough to make them happy.  Also, two of my kids have Dec. birthdays so there's more to buy.  That's why I've always started early.  but, I really don't feel it's the smart thing to do this time.

jellybeanjean
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

it's still early. I wont be in the spirit till December myself...

thatgirl70
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I'm only in the spirit as far as buying gifts for my son and the other kids (our family has mutually decided that we will only be buying for the kids and our immediate families, less stressful that way), but not as far as decorating goes. I'm thinking of getting a smaller tree this year and setting it up in my son's room, but that's it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)