Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If someone sleeps w/ a minor, who lies about their age, should it be a crime?

Posted by   + Show Post

Say a man meets a woman and begins to date her. She tells him she is of age and legal and give no indication she is any younger than what she leads on. They sleep together. Her parents find out about the relationship and contact the man. He is THEN told she is actually only 14, while he is 20. Her parents then decide they want to press charges. Should he face criminal charges?

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Yes. He should have verified her age before sleeping with her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, that was my point. How silly!

Quoting starlet4534:

Who does that when they meet someone though?

Quoting Anonymous:

License and registration please?

Quoting gypsy_rose:

LeahJ
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I think, if he actually checked her id, it might be a defense. Statutory rape is, in most states, a "strict liability crime" meaning if you do the act, you're guilty even if you didn't know it was wrong. However, checking id might just be a defense. Interesting....*running off to ask dh*

Quoting ButterMeUp:

So you have had a man check you ID? If so, how did he know it wasn't a fake?

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, unless he can prove she have him "proof" of her false age. You should never date anyone that you have not verified. Best way to do that is to meet family/parents and friends. Sad you have to do that these days, but as you can see why, better safe than sorry. Plus why would you want to mess with someone that has or is lying to you?
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Why?

Quoting LoriLou75:

In that case, yes!

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

OliviasMommy611
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
My thoughts as well.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I do not believe it should be a criminal act. Seems a bit unfair. I feel a true crime is only committed when a criminal freely enters into the act knowing it is illegal. In this case, had it been my DD, I would not press charges but instead punish my child for lying. If anyone should be punished, it would be her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM
This! This! This!

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I do not believe it should be a criminal act. Seems a bit unfair. I feel a true crime is only committed when a criminal freely enters into the act knowing it is illegal. In this case, had it been my DD, I would not press charges but instead punish my child for lying. If anyone should be punished, it would be her.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AbigailJ89
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM
How?

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM
3 moms liked this
They should get to know a person before sleeping with them, Imo.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. What are people suppose to do? Check their license or ID. Before dating?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)