Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if your daughter came to you and said she wanted to be

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Your dd is 18, graduated high school, has a scholarship for college.

One day she comes to you and says she doesnt want to go to college. All she wants to do is be a stay at home mom.

Your daughter doesnt even have a boyfriend.

How do you react?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM
So since shes 18 and an adult I can tell her she can find her own place to stay to be a sahm?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She's 18 and technically an adult.

I would wonder what happened to her goals and dreams? And I'd ask that she at least reconsider and at least give college a try before turning down a remarkable offer (the scholarship).

But sorry to say it--at 18, it's ultimately their choice.

rnchelle93
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I'd be very disappointed. If she wants to be a stay at home not, great, I want her to be able to do that, but if she decided she didn't want an education, I'd feel like I failed as a mother. I would not support that, or her, if she threw her life away that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell her she can be a SAHM when she gets married and has kids, until then, she's going to have to find a way to support herself and thats difficult without a college degree. Things don't always work out as we want and her future family might not allow her to stay home. Also, being a SAHM doesn't mean you can't get an education. Almost everything is optional to my kids, an education is not one of those things, so I would tell her that unless she finds some way to go support herself and get her own place right then and there, she's going to college.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I will support her in anything she decides to do.  If she never moves out of my house I am OK with that, same with my son :)

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say who the hell are you and why do you think you are my daughter.

lilmama2be
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I would advise her to get an eduaction so that if her life doesn't work out that way, she at least has something to fall back on.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I would say she needs to finish college first then find a husband. She would need to be capable.of.taking care of her self first and foremost alone without a man. After being able to do that she can do whatever she wants to do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I really can't imagine my DD saying this. If she's got brains in her head, and she does, she'll learn from watching her dear ol' mom how to take care of herself and how important it is that she learn to provide for herself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

If that is your choosing, yes.

I can't imagine a parent necessarily doing this, however. Were they to, I'd have to wonder just what type of conditions they place on those in their life in general?

It's not ideal to have your child change their mind about their future. But they shouldn't be punished for it, either.

Quoting Anonymous:

So since shes 18 and an adult I can tell her she can find her own place to stay to be a sahm?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She's 18 and technically an adult.

I would wonder what happened to her goals and dreams? And I'd ask that she at least reconsider and at least give college a try before turning down a remarkable offer (the scholarship).

But sorry to say it--at 18, it's ultimately their choice.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I would support her. At 18 that's what I wanted to be, so I did....I'm 40 now, still a SAHM, have 6 kids and I am totally happy with how my life has turned out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)