Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if your daughter came to you and said she wanted to be

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
1 mom liked this
Your dd is 18, graduated high school, has a scholarship for college.

One day she comes to you and says she doesnt want to go to college. All she wants to do is be a stay at home mom.

Your daughter doesnt even have a boyfriend.

How do you react?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear55
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
13 moms liked this

I'd tell her that is great if that's what will make her happy, but I'd tell her to at least take classes until she marries.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
6 moms liked this

the same way I reacted when my 18 year old son decided he knew more about life than I do.  I wished him the best of luck on his journey, and told him to keep in touch.  if you're not going to school or working, you're not living here unless you earn your way.  that wasn't his idea of a good time, so...

Johariz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I'd tell her that it was fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I would support her choice to be a sahm, but tell her in the meantime she has to go to school to support herself.
Until she finds a husband and they can discuss it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
3 moms liked this
Explain to her how important an education is regardless if she is a sahm or not. Then ask how she plans to be a sahm with no bf or baby. Then stress the importance of not rushing into a relationship and having a baby right away.

After that I would probably have a mini melt down in my room!
Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
4 moms liked this

I tell her that is awesome that she wants to be a SAHM but an education is important because we never know what life has in store for us and she needs to be able to be independent if that need ever arises.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM
13 moms liked this

I'd tell her the best place to find a man who will be able to supprt her is in college.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Its fine for her to sit on her ass at home doing nothing until she marries/has kids?

Quoting Johariz:

I'd tell her that it was fine.
Lizardannie1966
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

She's 18 and technically an adult.

I would wonder what happened to her goals and dreams? And I'd ask that she at least reconsider and at least give college a try before turning down a remarkable offer (the scholarship).

But sorry to say it--at 18, it's ultimately their choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
This is how I feel especially since there is no child/man in her life yet. I wont force her to work but she is not sitting at home doing nothing (or worse going out partying all the time) hoping she finds someone.

Quoting Jynnifer292:

I tell her that is awesome that she wants to be a SAHM but an education is important because we never know what life has in store for us and she needs to be able to be independent if that need ever arises.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)