Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black Friday has Ruined Thanksgiving *edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 777 Replies
51 moms liked this

It is no longer about spending time with family. It's about preparing to go out and wait in lines for sales. I want to take a moment and personally thank everyone who participates in this maddness. It is because of you that stores are pushing to be open on Christmas as well. It is because of you that my dh along with thousands of others have to cut their time with their family short on what used to be a CLOSED Holiday to wait and deal with your stampedes for Christmas Gifts.  I'm sure the YouTube video of the surrvailance camera footage that shows you jumping over someone, who was nearly crushed, will make that IPad all the more priceless. 

Don't forget to pick up some clearance Christmas since it's already out as well. 

*I'm not talking about the insanity of Black Friday alone. I'm talking about how Black Friday is PUSHING it's way into Thanksgiving and ruining the holiday by forcing employees to choose between family and OT pay. 

**I get that there are jobs that are mandatory, never get a holiday off jobs (doctors, firemen, military, etc) but when your family members signed up for them, they knew they would probably NOT get holidays off.  My dh is a manager and is using his 4year degree and I work nights. When we both started working at our current places (7 + years now) Thanksgiving was always a day off. Then they started making my dh come in to take a truck for the store and now they are making it so he has to be in at 7pm Thanksgiving evening to prep and be ready to open. I have to work Black Friday and clean up the mess, but I'm used to that.  It's the fact that despite the family values touted by the CEO and other upper managers, they don't give a flipping frick about the families that work for them.  

Oh and he has been looking for another job for 2 years now, but he also has a job and is competeing against people who don't. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emilytrademark
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM
43 moms liked this

I do anything I can to AVOID leaving the house on Black Friday. Them people are crazy... and I'm still stuffed from turkey dinner.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM
32 moms liked this

I'm boosting the economy. 

crazy_house
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM
8 moms liked this

I avoid black friday no sale is good enough to deal with all the crazy.. but I agree thats all thanksgiving has become about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM
19 moms liked this

LMAO.. No it has not ruined it!! You are not FORCED to go. Go don't go, no one cares! Free country!

Stay home with your family. I promise you..... Walmart will be non the wiser:)

I want to add I heard that change.org is asking for signatures so  go check out that website if you think this might be helpful to you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, it's a CHOICE to go out...I'm not. There are some sales I would have went to if they were on Friday, but I'm not willing to cut the time with my family to save a few bucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I go out....my bro works for Best Buy. He always still spends time with the fam....
ripemango
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM
12 moms liked this

when was the day after thanksgiving abt spending time w family?

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM
7 moms liked this

You're welcome

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM
36 moms liked this

I'm ok with the whole Black Friday thing. What pisses me off is that they are starting the sales on actual Thanksgiving this year. What the fuck is that about? Seriously, the sales can wait a few hours. I don't even mind if they start at midnight, because that is technically Friday, but 8pm Thursday is ridiculous. 

Grumpylilpixy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm going at 8 pm long after Thanksgiving dinner has been served. I'm sorry that ur husband is having to work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured