Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Black Friday has Ruined Thanksgiving *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It is no longer about spending time with family. It's about preparing to go out and wait in lines for sales. I want to take a moment and personally thank everyone who participates in this maddness. It is because of you that stores are pushing to be open on Christmas as well. It is because of you that my dh along with thousands of others have to cut their time with their family short on what used to be a CLOSED Holiday to wait and deal with your stampedes for Christmas Gifts.  I'm sure the YouTube video of the surrvailance camera footage that shows you jumping over someone, who was nearly crushed, will make that IPad all the more priceless. 

Don't forget to pick up some clearance Christmas since it's already out as well. 

*I'm not talking about the insanity of Black Friday alone. I'm talking about how Black Friday is PUSHING it's way into Thanksgiving and ruining the holiday by forcing employees to choose between family and OT pay. 

**I get that there are jobs that are mandatory, never get a holiday off jobs (doctors, firemen, military, etc) but when your family members signed up for them, they knew they would probably NOT get holidays off.  My dh is a manager and is using his 4year degree and I work nights. When we both started working at our current places (7 + years now) Thanksgiving was always a day off. Then they started making my dh come in to take a truck for the store and now they are making it so he has to be in at 7pm Thanksgiving evening to prep and be ready to open. I have to work Black Friday and clean up the mess, but I'm used to that.  It's the fact that despite the family values touted by the CEO and other upper managers, they don't give a flipping frick about the families that work for them.  

Oh and he has been looking for another job for 2 years now, but he also has a job and is competeing against people who don't. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
allsolittle
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I've never been to black Friday. I hate shopping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM
9 moms liked this
I don't do any Black Friday shopping at all! There is nothing I need that badly that's worth fighting all those crazy people for.On a side note though, there are a lot of people who have to work on Thanksgiving and other holidays as well such as police officers and people in the medical field. It comes with the territory.
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I love hearing all of the crazy stories. It makes me laugh.
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM
We eat then shop. Love a baragin. My dh and I have to work holidays.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommieSDW
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I never participate in black friday. I am sorry your hubby has to work :(
DylansMommyXo
by Daggy on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I've never done Black Friday shopping & not planning to this year either. Too many crazies!! I rather enjoy my thanksgiving w/ my family.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I have done black fridays, they are not too bad in my town... I just cannot hack standing in the freezing weather. Doubt Ill do it again unless it is warm.
PeaceMuch
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting MommieSDW:

I never participate in black friday. I am sorry your hubby has to work :(
Kitschy
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM
17 moms liked this

Black Friday has always been. It has been hyped so now it's crazier, but before regular people started calling it "black friday" the term was used because it was the day that put you in the black on the books. That being said, it's being open on Thanksgiving, that is ruining it. Shop on black friday all you want, but when you go out to shop on Thanksgiving you are voting with  your dollar and you are saying money is more important than family.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM
6 moms liked this

I am gonna shop my ass off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN