Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Black Friday has Ruined Thanksgiving *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It is no longer about spending time with family. It's about preparing to go out and wait in lines for sales. I want to take a moment and personally thank everyone who participates in this maddness. It is because of you that stores are pushing to be open on Christmas as well. It is because of you that my dh along with thousands of others have to cut their time with their family short on what used to be a CLOSED Holiday to wait and deal with your stampedes for Christmas Gifts.  I'm sure the YouTube video of the surrvailance camera footage that shows you jumping over someone, who was nearly crushed, will make that IPad all the more priceless. 

Don't forget to pick up some clearance Christmas since it's already out as well. 

*I'm not talking about the insanity of Black Friday alone. I'm talking about how Black Friday is PUSHING it's way into Thanksgiving and ruining the holiday by forcing employees to choose between family and OT pay. 

**I get that there are jobs that are mandatory, never get a holiday off jobs (doctors, firemen, military, etc) but when your family members signed up for them, they knew they would probably NOT get holidays off.  My dh is a manager and is using his 4year degree and I work nights. When we both started working at our current places (7 + years now) Thanksgiving was always a day off. Then they started making my dh come in to take a truck for the store and now they are making it so he has to be in at 7pm Thanksgiving evening to prep and be ready to open. I have to work Black Friday and clean up the mess, but I'm used to that.  It's the fact that despite the family values touted by the CEO and other upper managers, they don't give a flipping frick about the families that work for them.  

Oh and he has been looking for another job for 2 years now, but he also has a job and is competeing against people who don't. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (621-630):
azmar78
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I'm ok w Black Friday madness! I'm not ok w stores open thanksgiving day! I do think they keep moving the times up. I remember when I thought it was crazy that stores opened at 5 and 6 am and now it's midnight
jstanthrmom
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Please please please drag me into a store for a great Sale on an item that the store has stocked maybe 10 of. Just to sucker me into spending money on regularly priced merchandise because hey I'm out here anyway.

bekkage
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

In Maine, it is illegal for those large chain stores to be open on Thanksgiving, so places like Wal-Mart open at 12:01 AM Friday.

I actually work the morning on Black Friday at a retail establishment.  Once I've put in my 8 hours, I do my Black Friday shopping online.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Not for us. We never shop Black Friday.

curlycupcake
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Never have or will do Black Friday. I'd end up in jail, for sure. I don't do crowds well anyway, and some bitch elbows me out of the way for an Elmo or wtf ever she's goin down!!
I hate it for the same reasons as you, OP. DH has to chose between Christmas Eve or New Year's Day to work. He gets thanksgiving off, but not the day before or after. It seriously sucks :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemotherof8
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I don't do black fridays because of the crowds and how crazy some of those people get. It doesn't matter to me if what i wanted for my girls is not there as long as they get something. I have never or will never shop on black fridays.

AlJb
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

It's not "Black Friday" that ruins it.  Like everything else it's those certain people that ruin it.  There is no material item that is important for me to fight over or trample someone over.  People are just crazy now days and way too obsessed with materialistic things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 97 on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

We have been going for years.  The only year I remember not going was when my first daughter was 7 weeks old.  That didn't stop the show though.  My DH, brothers and cousins went.  It's exciting, fun and crazy for us!  Last year we went to Walmart for the 10 pm sales.  While I don't think they should open at 8 because people should be able to spend time with their families, it doesn't cut into our family time.  My dad wouldn't be caught at a BF sale, so he keeps the kids.  The rest of us map out where we are going and what we are getting.  It's a blast!  We havne't seen any major issues.  The most annoying thing to me is when people bring their kids and don't control them.

sarahcrump566
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I don't think it ruins families but I do think it makes ppl crazy. On that day I make sure I stay home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EmmaZate
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not a choice for everyone. Some people have to work when they would rather be with family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN