Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Black Friday has Ruined Thanksgiving *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It is no longer about spending time with family. It's about preparing to go out and wait in lines for sales. I want to take a moment and personally thank everyone who participates in this maddness. It is because of you that stores are pushing to be open on Christmas as well. It is because of you that my dh along with thousands of others have to cut their time with their family short on what used to be a CLOSED Holiday to wait and deal with your stampedes for Christmas Gifts.  I'm sure the YouTube video of the surrvailance camera footage that shows you jumping over someone, who was nearly crushed, will make that IPad all the more priceless. 

Don't forget to pick up some clearance Christmas since it's already out as well. 

*I'm not talking about the insanity of Black Friday alone. I'm talking about how Black Friday is PUSHING it's way into Thanksgiving and ruining the holiday by forcing employees to choose between family and OT pay. 

**I get that there are jobs that are mandatory, never get a holiday off jobs (doctors, firemen, military, etc) but when your family members signed up for them, they knew they would probably NOT get holidays off.  My dh is a manager and is using his 4year degree and I work nights. When we both started working at our current places (7 + years now) Thanksgiving was always a day off. Then they started making my dh come in to take a truck for the store and now they are making it so he has to be in at 7pm Thanksgiving evening to prep and be ready to open. I have to work Black Friday and clean up the mess, but I'm used to that.  It's the fact that despite the family values touted by the CEO and other upper managers, they don't give a flipping frick about the families that work for them.  

Oh and he has been looking for another job for 2 years now, but he also has a job and is competeing against people who don't. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (631-640):
Seychelles1409
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

There are some of us for whom Thanksgiving dinner is not served until 6 p.m. so having stores open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day is not good for us.  You may not have this situation, but with in-laws and two meals to eat on that day, one meal has to be lunch and the other has to be dinner!  We are stuffed tht day, but there is no way around it!
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I'm going at 8 pm long after Thanksgiving dinner has been served. I'm sorry that ur husband is having to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 98 on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

If it was a choice for employees it would be bad enough, but too often it isn't a choice. They have to give up their families. I refuse to participate in any of it. I am only one, but if more would join stores would rethink their choice. Trouble is too many don't care about others they just want to get the deals. Fact is the deals would be there the next day if no one would go out on Thanksgiving. It's time for people to say no. Some things need to be more important and the main one is family!

Grumpylilpixy
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Well honey I'm sorry you have a big family to feed you. Sounds So unfortunate. Gosh.

Quoting Seychelles1409:

There are some of us for whom Thanksgiving dinner is not served until 6 p.m. so having stores open at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day is not good for us.  You may not have this situation, but with in-laws and two meals to eat on that day, one meal has to be lunch and the other has to be dinner!  We are stuffed tht day, but there is no way around it!
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I'm going at 8 pm long after Thanksgiving dinner has been served. I'm sorry that ur husband is having to work.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
scottiemom
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Greed tends to take away the true meaning of our holidays. I never shop on Black Fridays or on Thanksgiving. I spend those days at home with my family. :)

AMom29
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Well, as a consumer, you can choose not to participate, or only buy things you can get online.

As an employee, yes it sucks, but we have a store here that is only closed on Christmas day, and has been like this for close to 20 years, so it's not like it's a new idea.  If you don't want to work holidays, don't work in retail or food service (or medical, or as a tow truck driver, or...).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting GoddessAnna:

Must suck ass to have a husband with a job in this economy.

I don't care if stores are open on Christmas. December 25th is just a day. Having had to celebrate Christmas on a day other than the 25th for over half of the last decade due to military service, I have little sympathy for those who can't think outside the box and deal with the hand they've been dealt. The same can be said of Thanksgiving. My family celebrated it with close friends yesterday, we'll be doing it this weekend with my mom, and then with my in-laws on the actual day. It's not about the calendar date, it's about what giving thanks actually means. That's dateless.

I love Black Friday shopping. I've been done with Christmas gifts for months now (I make jellies, jams, and other homemade gifts in the summer). I like the deal hunting and the competition of it. My husband and I worked hard to get to this point in our lives, I refuse to be guilted into losing my enjoyment of holiday shopping.

(Yes, I'm a little grumpy. Sorry.)

s'ok, I was too when I wrote this. 

BlueSc00ter
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I think she is referring to emloyees who have to work on the holidays now because businesses are staying open or opening early.  Yes it is a choice for people to shop or not if the stores are open, but it may not be an employees job to work or not if they want to keep their job...they may HAVE to work.  I think Black Friday is fine on FRIDAY, but not on Thursday!

Seychelles1409
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Hi Grumpy!  No, no big family!  I wish!  My My DH and I go to my MIL's and eat with her and DH's sister and niece.  My SKids will have other plans so that's a downer for my DH.  Dinner with my family is only nine of us!  I get to cook for two families!  My MIL broke her hip this summr and my FIL died this spring so this will be a hard Thanksgiving.  My mother has alzheimer's so much of the cooking for our family meal is left to me and my sister-in-law.   Not the Norman Rockwell one might imagine.
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Well honey I'm sorry you have a big family to feed you. Sounds So unfortunate. Gosh.

Quoting Seychelles1409:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Grumpylilpixy
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Hi dear, I def misunderstood. LOL

I agree with you it is taking away from Thanksgiving. 

I don't know why they did it unless to cut0 down on the crowds and theft maybe, I dont see how it will work. 

IDK they changed it. I was shocked when I went last year at 5am at walmart and found out it all went at 12am. WTH?

Quoting Seychelles1409:

Hi Grumpy!  No, no big family!  I wish!  My My DH and I go to my MIL's and eat with her and DH's sister and niece.  My SKids will have other plans so that's a downer for my DH.  Dinner with my family is only nine of us!  I get to cook for two families!  My MIL broke her hip this summr and my FIL died this spring so this will be a hard Thanksgiving.  My mother has alzheimer's so much of the cooking for our family meal is left to me and my sister-in-law.   Not the Norman Rockwell one might imagine.
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting Seychelles1409:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 99 on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

We love Black Friday, and it's not come between us at all. We plan ahead of time, I get all my ads early and plan out where I'm going, and when. I organize and plan every day as it is, holidays are the same way. Thanksgiving morning is spent with my husband, kids, and sister in law, making breakfast and watching the Macys Parade. Around noon we're heading upstate to my aunt's house, eating a crap ton of food, watching football, and riding four wheelers down to the creek. The aunts all sit around and plan their Black Friday trips, and look at ads while the guys shoot their guns in the backyard or watch the game. Then it's off to my MIL's house for thanksgiving dinner and traditional watching of Christmas Vacation. Then later we're heading home, DH will keep the kids, and my best friend and I are heading to get in line at Target.

Black Friday for us is a fun tradition, that we do every year. I do not, however, think that they should open at 8pm on Thanksgiving. Nor should they be open on Christmas. I think that retail employees need time with their families. Then again, my best friend works at the hospital and won't be home to watch her kids open their presents Christmas morning because she has to work (and she's a single mom, so no dad to watch them either, just grandma). It's sad, but that's how it is. It's why I left retail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)