Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

where do i get help for christmas?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

i've never done this before...but i'd like to get help for my kids this year for christmas. So does anyone know what i do to get presents for them? i live in NJ if it matters and yes we really do need the help.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie729
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Call 211 and ask. Or check with Salvation Army or local churches.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Not here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM
call local churches, salvation army. not sure where else
edelweiss23
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Toys for tots has an application you can fill out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM

thank you i dont go to church so i didn't know if it would be weird/wrong to ask them for help...and idk what 211 is but i will call during nap :)

Quoting angie729:

Call 211 and ask. Or check with Salvation Army or local churches.

brittany208
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Local churches. I know ours does a lot of community outreach. See if they have the angel tree program in your area.

crissydancer05
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM
check ur local social services for toys for tots info
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebel_mommy09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM
There is a post going here in mom confessions I'll see if I can bump it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM

HOW TO APPLY FOR CHRISTMAS HELP FOR LOW INCOME FAMILIES

Jul 17, 2011 | By Mike Broemmel
How to Apply for Christmas Help for Low Income Families
Photo Credit christmas-tree and christmas gifts image by Maria Brzostowska from Fotolia.com

Planning for a happy Christmas for your family is challenging if you feel you lack the financial resources to celebrate properly with your children. The fact is that many not-for-profit agencies in cities and towns across the United States recognize this reality. Many of these organizations band together during the holiday season to offer special assistance to low-income families desiring to celebrate the special time of year. Accessing these programs requires that you understand the typical application process.

Step 1

Contact the local or regional office of the United Way. The national headquarters for the United Way provides this information and can be reached by calling 703-836-7112. In addition, the United Way maintains a local United Way finder online.

Cincinnati MissionHelp Support Cincinnati's Homeless Learn More at City Gospel Mission.www.citygospelmission.org

Step 2

Ask a representative of the local or regional United Way about a "Christmas Bureau" or community-based, low-income holiday assistance program.

Step 3

Obtain from the agency the dates and locations of where you and your family can sign up to participate in the program.

Step 4

Go to the application site provided on one of the dates of operation. Typically, applications are taken over the course of approximately a week about two to three weeks before the Christmas holiday.

Step 5

Complete the application provided at the site. The application asks for basic information about your family's income, the ages of each member of your family and for an itemization of your basic needs. These programs usually provide a family with food as well as gifts for children.

Step 6

Submit the application at the site. You will be told whether your family qualifies for the program at that time.

Step 7

Ask for the date and time when you can pick up the food and other items for the holiday. Distributions normally occur the week of Christmas. Delivery to shut-ins usually is provided.

1-800-CHARITY-CARSAmerica's Top Auto Donation Program Retail Tax Deduct.-Seen on NBC-CBS800CharityCars.org
Single Mother AssistanceAccess to Low Income Services Get Financial Resources, Help, Aidwww.SPAOA.org
Get Paid $90 Per Survey?Easy Money At Home - Try It Now! Take Surveys and Get Paid (Free)SurveyMoneyMachines.com
Mom: $10,000 ScholarshipNo GPA, No Essay, No Stress! Apply Now. Takes Only 1 Minute.www.Scholarships4Moms.net

TIPS AND WARNINGS

• If you do not have access to a United Way agency in your general area, churches and local not-for-profit human services agencies likely maintain information about Christmas programs for low income families. The Salvation Army and Catholic Charities are examples of these types of organizations. Additionally, county and state social services agencies usually have this information as well.

REFERENCES

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/216548-how-to-apply-for-christmas-help-for-low-income-families/#ixzz2C0z6IxIo
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM

thank you.....is it ok to call churches if i don't go to them? it's really hard for me to ask for help so if i can over the phone would be awesome!

Quoting notjstasocermom:

call local churches, salvation army. not sure where else

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)