Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Walmart strike? Edit

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 26 Replies

I asked this in another thread but it was deleted before I could read the response.  Anyone here participating?  What are your thoughts? I don't shop on Black Friday because I always work.  I also don't shop at Walmart.  But I will be curious to see what happens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/walmart-black-friday-strike-organized-online-video_n_2094698.html

I haven't heard anything about a boycott.  I was just wondering if anyone here works there and if they are striking.  And what your thoughts are on the workers striking that day. 

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Good luck but its not going to work.

CheyanneW
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

bump

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm not boycotting any of it. Be thankful for jobs even if you have to work on thanksgiving, and don't participate in it if you don't want to. Just stop trying to ban shit!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope but I would love for everyone else too so that I can have a better chance of getting what I want :)

brittany208
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Not participating. Don't know how well it will work. But yeah, if (and I'm pretty sure they are) Walmart employees are being mistreated, then they have every right to say something about it.

Going to make Black Friday shopping at Walmart a NIGHTMARE for those that do go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Boycott the store with better prices on toys than Target or Toys R Us? Um no.
unusualmom
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I dunno? I dont shop on black friday.
myboysSMSB
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Quoting BridgeEbb:

Nope but I would love for everyone else too so that I can have a better chance of getting what I want :)

THIS

BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I have relatives that work for Walmart and they never said that they were mistreated.  They get great bonus' plus medical benefits and other benefits.  Yes they work on Black Friday, my mom has to be at work at 10:30 Thanksgiving night.  The way she looks at it is that she knew that when she applied for the job.  If you don't want to shop their don't, more sales for me :) They are not going to change their way for the few people that decided not to go.  

Quoting brittany208:

Not participating. Don't know how well it will work. But yeah, if (and I'm pretty sure they are) Walmart employees are being mistreated, then they have every right to say something about it.

Going to make Black Friday shopping at Walmart a NIGHTMARE for those that do go.

brittany208
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Glad to hear she is treated well. And yeah, working on Black Friday--part of the job, thats fine. I used to work on Thanksgiving/Black Friday as a waitress. But I've heard many are really mistreated in a variety of other ways. And if they are, they should be allowed to stand up for themselves.

BUT if the employees are boycotting--can you imagine what the checkout lines will be like? you think they dont have enough registers open now! eeek!

Quoting BridgeEbb:

I have relatives that work for Walmart and they never said that they were mistreated.  They get great bonus' plus medical benefits and other benefits.  Yes they work on Black Friday, my mom has to be at work at 10:30 Thanksgiving night.  The way she looks at it is that she knew that when she applied for the job.  If you don't want to shop their don't, more sales for me :) They are not going to change their way for the few people that decided not to go.  

Quoting brittany208:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)