Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Now I'm curious: If an older family member put their hands on your child...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 124 Replies

Before I ask, I'd like to point out that this is not a thread in defense or against the user whose story inspired me to ask this question. Please do not say anything about her and state your own opinion on the situation.

If an older member of your family (aunt, uncle, grandparents, great grandparents/aunts/uncles) were to aggressively put their hands on your child, how would you react?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
New.OrleansLady
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
If my child was misbehaving and needed a spanking. Then if be fine as long as its a spanking and not a beating. We spank so it's ok for immediate family members only. Any extended family or friends, no way

Eta: you said aggressive... So re reading that aggressive sounds like a beating aka abuse vs spanking. Again beating ... No spanking yes. And yes there is a difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends, choking a kid isn't OK for anybody. Giving my kid the what for if they're being disresptful, I'm OK with.

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM
They would have to go through me. If they are in good shape I would physically stop them. If they are frail then I would take the hit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM
If they aggressively did anything towards my child they wouldn't see her anymore. My child does not get spanked and I'm not going to tel an older family member hit her just out of respect.
lovemyfamily864
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I wouldn't care.  My kids know that they have limits, and if the limits aren't enforced, they know to expect consequences.  Even if those consequences aren't from me.

superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
3 moms liked this

I would not have an issue with it.  In our family anyone can discipline the kids..we firmly believe that it takes a village to raise a child.

brittany208
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Snatch the child away immediately, have a serious conversation with the person about how it is NOT their responsibility to discipline my child. If they want to say "hey, don't get into that" or "we don't take toys away from people" that is one thing. But my DH and I are the only ones allowed to spank. And its not like we aren't good, attentive parents so they would have to parent in our stead.

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
6 moms liked this
Slap them & call them a Whore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkh615
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

My grandmother has "spanked" our oldest daughter and we told her not to do it again. She still threatens to do it and I tell her, in front of my daughters, we don't do that in this family. She thinks it's silly but I don't think that touching little knick-knacks on a coffee table warrants a spanking, ESPECIALLY if it's a first offense.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

DazeDelights
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Depends on what my child did. If they were disrespectful or doing wrong I have nothing to say. Elders discipline in my family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN