Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Spotless House Weakens Immune System

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A Spotless House Weakens The Immune System
http://preventdisease.com/news/12/111212_A-Spotless-House-Weakens-The-Immune-System.shtml

An interesting factoid about kids who grow up in overly hygienic households is that they develop more allergies, eczema and other disorders that result from a depressed antibody response. Scientists have theorized that children from affluent families have weaker immune systems because they live in cleaner homes. They may be right.

Besides increases in medicated and vaccinated children in the past 20 years, the number of children with allergies has also doubled -- with the sharpest increase among the middle classes, however it may not only be our failed medical system that is only to blame.

The sharpest increase has been among the middle-classes which scientists say support their theory that youngsters from wealthier families have a weakened immune system because they live in cleaner homes.

Their study examined 8,306 patients, 776 of which had some form of reaction to peanuts, and the findings were presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. 

Lead study author, allergist Dr Sandy Yip, said: ‘Overall household income is only associated with peanut sensitization in children aged one to nine years. 

‘This may indicate that development of peanut sensitization at a young age is related to affluence, but those developed later in life are not.’

Previous studies have suggested that children born during tree pollen season may develop a tolerance for pollen, thus reducing their risk for acquiring pollen allergy later in life. Scientists believe the same type of 'de-sensitizing' mechanism may be at work in infants exposed to pets in the home.

Young children who share their home with two dogs or cats in the first year of life are half as likely to become allergic to those animals than kids who grew up with only one dog or cat, or no pets.

Researchers also found that peanut allergy was generally higher in males and ethnic minorities.

Last year, researchers at Edinburgh and Maastricht universities studied records from more than 400 GP practices in England between 2001 and 2005 to determine the number of patients with an allergy.

The study showed more than 25,000 people in England have been diagnosed with a nut allergy at some point in their lives. 

It also found that children from a more affluent background were twice as likely to have a peanut allergy compared to their poorer counterparts.

Routine childhood vaccinations also contribute to the emergence of chronic allergic problems such as eczema, ear infections, and asthma. However, most vaccinated children come from households with lower incomes, which may support the theory that hygiene and their environment may indeed be a greater contributing factor of childhood allergies than perhaps vaccinations. 

More educated and affluent households are less likely to vaccinate, which contradicts the misconceptions of many health professionals who profess that parents don't vaccinate because they are under-educated, poor or misinformed.

Increasing levels of hygiene appeared to be especially linked to a risk of developing severe eczema. In infants and young children, eczema manifests as intensely itchy, red patches that can ooze and crust over. The condition is typically treated by doctors with ointments and antihistamines, however a large percentage of children do not benefit from the treatments with recurring symptoms.

The link between hygiene and allergies is in step with the so-called "hygiene hypothesis"--the theory that a lower exposure to germs affects the immune system's development in such a way that it is more prone to allergic reactions.

For example, previous studies have found that adults who had grown up on a farm were less likely to develop allergies, while young children exposed to older siblings at home and those who attend day care also have a lower risk of allergies and asthma.

It's not a call for parents to abandon all hygiene practices, since hygiene (not vaccinations) is what eradicated many infectious diseases in the last few centuries. However, it is important to maintain a sense of awareness on all the factors that may affect and influence childhood allergies. 

Perhaps we should start focusing more on using natural cleaners and organic cleaning supplies. Most of all, we need to eliminate cleaning products which depress our immune system with carcinogenic agents

One last thing for all the parents out there...the next time your child tracks in some dirt, give them a break as they could be doing a world of good for their immunity.

Dave Mihalovic is a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in vaccine research, cancer prevention and a natural approach to treatment.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM
why is her washer in her kitchen?
MotorSheen
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell our kids:

"We might not be poor... but we sure are dirty!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Ya know, that is quite interesting. My sister-in-law is a complete neat freak. She sanitizes everything daily ... and her family is always sick. The kids have all sorts of allergies, skin problems, and they're always catching something. Now me? My immune system must be awesome as I never get sick. I guess I can credit my messy house for that now :)

demonica29
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Well, thank goodness I have nothing to worry about. Our dust bunnies are growing into Great Pyrenees. 

SlightlyPerfect
I GOTTA GO SHOPPING!
Today at 10:01 AM
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

slightlyperfect

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

i used it in a spray bottle and would spray down the  bathroom, and just wipe it all down...no scrubbing or back breaking work in the tub, either..the lemon juice cuts grease and grime, and the vinegar kills germs and bacteria

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Cool I will try that's right now I use vingar and dish soap.

Quoting Anonymous:

i use 1/3 lemon juice to 2/3 white vingear...it works wonders, leaves no residue or smell, and is non toxic...it's AMAZING on soap scum, like no other cleaner i ever used before, and i used to clean a retreat center, and that mixture was a life saver...leaves chrome nice n shiny too!

Quoting snowpeasmom:

It was hard at first. I am trying to go green with all cleaning. Bleach always made me feel sick when using it so I stopped well before my son was born.

Quoting Momof5kids84:

I have seenany articles about this, but I just can't get passed thinking that we're not really clean unless it say antibacterial on it. It's in my head, and I know it. :(

Quoting snowpeasmom:

I agree. I don't use bleach or anti bacteria liquid or soaps and my son is hardly sick, never had anti biotic, and he is 5.5

mamaeagle216
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM
I always knew there was an excuse not to vacuum every day and HERE IT IS! Thanks CM
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM

you can write and ask her.....

Quoting Anonymous:

why is her washer in her kitchen?

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You can pretty much clean anything there is to clean with either vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, salt and/or borax!

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Cool I will try that's right now I use vingar and dish soap.

Quoting Anonymous:

i use 1/3 lemon juice to 2/3 white vingear...it works wonders, leaves no residue or smell, and is non toxic...it's AMAZING on soap scum, like no other cleaner i ever used before, and i used to clean a retreat center, and that mixture was a life saver...leaves chrome nice n shiny too!

Quoting snowpeasmom:

It was hard at first. I am trying to go green with all cleaning. Bleach always made me feel sick when using it so I stopped well before my son was born.

Quoting Momof5kids84:

I have seenany articles about this, but I just can't get passed thinking that we're not really clean unless it say antibacterial on it. It's in my head, and I know it. :(

Quoting snowpeasmom:

I agree. I don't use bleach or anti bacteria liquid or soaps and my son is hardly sick, never had anti biotic, and he is 5.5

TarantulaTress
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
I cleaned out the closets and the laundry room two days ago and now I'm sick. Coincidence? I think not!

Lol, I'm pretty sure my cold is poor timing, I keep a clean house and my kids are rarely sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN