Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Surely Obama is not going to require this.....? ****UPDATED****

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Someone said that Obamacare is going to require you to buy insurance or pay a fine?

HUH? This has got to be a rumor?

What do you do if you can't aford to buy it?  My dh only makes 38,000 a year and I am a SAHM and going to work is out of the question.

UPDATE:

First, thanks everyone for responding. THis is very educational.

2nd, I don't know if this is a rumor or not, but I heard that Denny's restaurant is going to cut hours of people because of the tax?!? Here is the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2233221/Dennys-charge-5-Obamacare-surcharge-cut-employee-hours-deal-cost-legislation.html

In the article (kinda towards the end) the Denny's guy said they would have to pay $5000 an employee per year for insurance?????????????? Surely that is NOT TRUE? $5000 a year per person for health insurance? So ifyou have 50 employees then you have to pay like $250,000 a year more for insurance? Is this true? Where is the money going to come from if this is true? 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
MyLittlePwny
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM
5 moms liked this
You win the DipShit of the year award.

Quoting Anonymous:

No...this is not correct.

Insurance companies are required to take people with pre-existing conditions and the only fine I know of is if companies offshore American jobs to China.

Obama is for the people.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Did you vote? Who did you vote for?
Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dsebastian23:

Yes you have to get health insurance or your going to be "taxed".

The health insurance is the tax. The fine is the penalty for not paying the tax. That is per Barry's lawyers who argued the case in front of SCOTUS. 

FL2AK
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Individuals will pay a penalty tax for not having coverage.  It says it right on the plans website that it is a penalty tax.

Quoting Anonymous:

No...this is not correct.

Insurance companies are required to take people with pre-existing conditions and the only fine I know of is if companies offshore American jobs to China.

Obama is for the people.

Mrs.H15
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
8 moms liked this
The exact reason why I never believe people who say they are "educated" before they vote...
mstkn.identity
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
No its free for me. The Indians pay it. Its isnt a plan. No deductibles, co pays or premiums. Just hope you dont need surgery :-/ The facility here sucks.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Thats such goddamn bullshit. Will i have to have insurance since i have my CDIB card and i (and my son) get health care through the indians?

If so thats even more goddamn bullshit.

If you currently have a plan, you should be all set. However, be ready for you plan to make some dramatic changes because it probably will. Usually, the first sign will be doubling to quadrupling ( or more) deductibles. It is happening all over my state, already. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

What I am worried about is, we cannot afford 800 a month for insurance, but then yet we will pay the fine/tax. So how do we end up with insurance?????

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

It's true, unless you are already covered by insurance.  I have a BIG problem with the government requiring some to buy anything.  One more step in our freedom going away.  (And no, I didn't vote for Obama, partly for this reason)

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

Pnukey
by Jenn on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Essentially, you're f*k'd. Yay Obama! NOT!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Let me guess, you voted for him?  And yes, it is true.

I bet she regrets it now

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
No, they could. They just dont want to.

Quoting brittany208:

What everyone else said is true. Employers of more than 50 must provide it. I think if your DH works for a smaller company than that, he still has to have it though. This is why a lot of companies are laying people off now that the election results are in--they can't afford this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)