Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not "considering" she's on a budget???

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM
  • 275 Replies
3 moms liked this

I visited my bf over the weekend so we could catch up and do some scrapbooking together. She took me out to dinner and had stated prior that she was on a budget-$30. So we get to this place and she orders a Cobb salad for $9.50 plus fries for $2.50. I order a $9.50 hamburger and $2.50 Coke. After the waitress walks off she goes "how much was that Coke? Like I said before I'm on a budget. I told her the price and she goes "it doesn't seem like you're considering that I'm on a budget because last time (the only other time she took me out to eat in the 18 years we've been friends) you ordered the lemonade and it costed $3.50 I responded, it's not that I'm not thinking of the fact that you are on a budget, I take my cues from the person ordering.This other restaurant was overpriced in both our opinions but I didn't think the lemonade would be an issue because she had ordered an appetizer, and in the incident I'm currently venting about, her extra order of fries cost just as much as a Coke would have for me!

I told her the reason I ordered the Coke is I didn't figure the bill would come up to the full $30 even WITH the Coke. She goes, "well I know it will!" And guess what?? It DIDN'T. The bill came up to $24 something and she left a $2 tip. She went on for 5 minutes about how sometimes she doesn't even LEAVE a tip. She ended up putting $3 and change back into her wallet.

This is the thanks I get for when we go scrapbook shopping together and she comes up short with her DH's card, I foot the rest of the bill and tell her not to worry about it? Or how whenever we're out together and I get a Starbucks Chai tea latte I fork out another over $3 for her?? Or when her dh left a kindle out and him and my 6 yr old were wrestling it got broken I offered to cover more than half of the cost of it? (though I really don't feel responsible b/c her dh should have been more careful, I know she's on a budget so I was trying to be nice)? Sheesh.

**EDIT** When we went out to this restaurant she had just gotten financial aid-she attends an online school. I was visiting her house, so we weren't shopping or anything like that. To the people who are saying if I didn't have money to pay for myself or declined--SHE decided at the last minute to go and we were in HER vehicle anyway (dh's car is out of comission and we cannot afford to repair it right now). All said I've never believed that it is my responsibility to scramble last minute because someone else made piss-poor choices. She's the one who wasted  $2,000 of financial aid, after all, not me.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM
3 moms liked this
Awkward...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM
35 moms liked this

Why not just go dutch when dining out? Each of you be responsible for yourselves.  You don't have to offer to pay for her and she won't be so stressed over her obviously limited finances.

purplerobin
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Awkward...

What's your opinion beyond that? If you were me what would you have thought or said?

purplerobin
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not just go dutch when dining out? Each of you be responsible for yourselves.  You don't have to offer to pay for her and she won't be so stressed over her obviously limited finances.

I didn't know we were going out both times until the same day.

mstkn.identity
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM
4 moms liked this
Yikes. I wouldnt go out with her anymore :-/ Or id just stick to payin for myself and vice versa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_sexy_girl
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM
6 moms liked this

I just wouldn't put myself in that position again.  Pay for yourself if she's going to be like that and she can pay for herself. 

mss119
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM
10 moms liked this

I don't think I would be friends with someone who tipped less than 10%, let alone all the other crap you mentioned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM
5 moms liked this
When she made a big deal about it, I would have offered to pay for my own portion. I would also take note of this and not buy her things all the time anymore. Just keep everything separate if she is going to be that way.

Quoting purplerobin:

Quoting Anonymous:

Awkward...

What's your opinion beyond that? If you were me what would you have thought or said?

harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM
17 moms liked this
If my best friend were that broke I'd have bought her lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamminOutMama
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Odd for a bf

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured