Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hot Saucing the Child's Mouth

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

for disrespectfulness.......yay or nay?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Replies (231-240):
annismom10
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM
And just for the record, my daughter did not start her love of all things spicy because of a parenting fail. It was her curiousity in flamin hot cheetos and frank's red hot
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

If it is something that goes on at that level, whatever communication he is trying to use it for needs to be made immediately ineffective.  (i.e. if he is being rude b/c he wants something, that item is off the table as an option when requested in a rude way, etc...).

The consequences that he is having (or priviliges he is losing) need to be ones that bother him.  EVERY child has things that they care about and will work for or will work to avoid losing.  You need to find those "pulse points" and use those.

To be dead honest, there is no way I can accurately, in a few lines, explain how to effectively implement a behavior plan.  It is not necessarily an involved concept, but there are a lot of concepts that you will want to make sure are embedded into the plan.  Is there a school guidance counselor you could sit with and have her help you come up with one?  How about any local parenting classes - those classes are great for adding effective "tricks in your tool bag" that are helpful when parenting!  They also typically spend time going over how and when to implement behavior plans at home.

Quoting boldrumble:

He does lose privileges, it doesnt seem to phase him. It is an every day, often multiple times a day occurrance. I dont know what a behavior chart is.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Does he lose priviliges when disrespectful?

How often does it occur?

Have you tried a behavior chart if it is an ongoing, frequent issue?

Quoting boldrumble:

Six

Quoting Kris_PBG:

How old is he?

Quoting boldrumble:

I agree, but am currently uaving issues with my son being disrespectful and would love some pointers/ideas. Currently, when i corrct him, he smiles at me, which infuriates me and i believe is also very disrespectful.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Of course not - how barbaric.

There are plenty of ways to address that behavior without acting like a Neanderthal.

chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM
If you think disrespecting another human being like that is ok then no wonder your child has disrespect for you! Find another way!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM

nay, for thumbsucking sure.. 

AnnaNonamus
by Spanky Pants :) on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Nay. In several states, it is legally listed as a form of abuse. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

shit my mother and father did that to both me and my sister and we never cussed or anything in that manner around them! and i did do that to my daughter once and she doesn't cuss anymore after that. everyone paremts differently...

MamaJael
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM

My mother used this method on me when I was a smart-assed little kid. She shook out a few drops on her finger and rubbed it in my mouth. Yeah, it was uncomfortable, but she only made me stand there for a few seconds until the burn kicked in, then she handed me a glass of water to sip. Far from abuse, and I never disrespected my mother again. 

HeathersForever
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

NAY I think it's abusive

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Time outs work better, as long as you are consistent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Absolutely not. That can also ruin their taste buds. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN