Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my brothers life is going no where, should I advice him or not

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM
  • 8 Replies
My younger brother is 36, not married no kids no education beyond high school. Nice guy though
Has yet to have a job beyond 6 months, keeps getting fired for lack of performance in job, no drivers license, always broken, but decided to join a band even though he has no music training and this band is not paying it's members. He now turns job offers down because it conflicts with practice. I have offered to pay him one night a week to watch kids while I go to a church meeting , he said no because of band practice.
He dates married women. goes to bars.
He is a 36 year old single guy on welfare.
He just called me begging me for money or food, because he is broke.
What advice should I give him?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Stop enabling him but at this point he's 36 so hope is dwindling...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a lot of people on here will tell you that its none of your business, but I think part of loving people is not just sitting by and watching them self destruct. I would just sit him down and have an honest heart to heart about how he's old enough to take care of himself and he shouldn't be calling you up for money/food. I assume you work hard, and he should be doing the same. If you give him food/money you are not helping him.

Heatherahh
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM
I agree, I never give him money unless he babysits, I was just going to give him some leftovers, and be done

Quoting owl0210:

Stop enabling him but at this point he's 36 so hope is dwindling...

Heatherahh
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM
I agree, but I feel I should give him advice about how to fix his life

Quoting brittany208:

I think a lot of people on here will tell you that its none of your business, but I think part of loving people is not just sitting by and watching them self destruct. I would just sit him down and have an honest heart to heart about how he's old enough to take care of himself and he shouldn't be calling you up for money/food. I assume you work hard, and he should be doing the same. If you give him food/money you are not helping him.

brittany208
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I imagine by his age, he KNOWS how to fix his life. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that adults should have jobs, not be going to the bar all the time, and not be messing around with married people.

Quoting Heatherahh:

Quoting brittany208:

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Is your brother going through clinical depression?  Has e been looked at by a doctor? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM
You'd at least really hope he knew

Quoting brittany208:

I imagine by his age, he KNOWS how to fix his life. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that adults should have jobs, not be going to the bar all the time, and not be messing around with married people.

Quoting Heatherahh:

Quoting brittany208:

Heatherahh
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM
I don't know for sure, but very possible

Quoting CoolRelax:

Is your brother going through clinical depression?  Has e been looked at by a doctor? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN