Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can someone not "afford" Christmas? and yes, I'm broke as hell, before you even ask.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 172 Replies
19 moms liked this

I understand saying that you can't afford to "buy presents" for Christmas. I know it sucks, especially when you have excited little ones. Trust me, I know. But saying you can't afford Christmas is like saying you can't afford to breathe. Christmas doesn't skip you just because you're broke. No one ever dies from not getting presents. Christmas isn't supposed to be about gifts anyway, right? Bake some cookies, or vegetables for those moms out there that hate cookies, and just love your kids. Use Christmas as a way to enjoy your family and do something good for others. Volunteers rock!!!!

If you can't afford to give your kids presents, then at least be in a happy and loving mood for them. If not being able to buy gifts is ruining your Christmas and puttiing you in a shitty mood, then why even bother?

I should have expected the cattiness. I have been there...I have been that mom who couldn't afford presents...it is heartbreaking to see your kids have to go without while others get so much. But we, as adults, have to rise above it. if you can't change your situaton, then make the best of it. That's all I'm saying. And yes, I am poor for those of you berating me because you think I'm some rich well-to-do bitch.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Beloved.
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Meh. Its depressing when you know your kids will be the only ones in class disappointed because Santa forgot them.
No. It's not about the gifts entirely. But they are nice to receive. And if your in a position where you can't afford them, it gets ya down.
mom2cheesebug
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM
4 moms liked this
I cnat normally afford christmas all at once, thats why i shop all year round for christmas, i get stuff on sale, spend a few bucks here and there, enough to have presents if my bank acct is empty when its time to go christmas shopping.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Meh. Its depressing when you know your kids will be the only ones in class disappointed because Santa forgot them.
No. It's not about the gifts entirely. But they are nice to receive. And if your in a position where you can't afford them, it gets ya down.

Oh I know. I've been there. But if you can't change the situation, just make the best of it. being angry and bitter won't make it any better.

702girly
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this

I think it's just a way of fishing for sympathy and handouts. Anybody can go to a food bank and get some food to make Christmas dinner and sign their kids up to get at least one gift from charity.

Bam, free Christmas. Maybe not the fanciest, most awesome Christmas ever but Christmas just the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM
I do agree.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh I know. I've been there. But if you can't change the situation, just make the best of it. being angry and bitter won't make it any better.

CrickettyBoo
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Ditto.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

When people say they can't afford Christmas.. they mean presents, food, decorations, etc....

You might think that baking cookies is enough but seeing the disappointment in your child's face when Santa filled his stocking with an apple and an orange is enough to make you want to crawl into a hole a die.

Especially when he has to go to school and hear his friends tell him Santa brought them an Xbox, games, toys, clothes, chocolates and money.

You don't get it. You must be able to give your children a great Xmas.

tennisgal
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM
8 moms liked this

bake some vegetables?? 

i'm not sure how i would react to a box of wrapped green beans ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I won't be able to afford presents, and that's fine with us... Just personally I wish we could afford a place to live. We're staying with in-laws right now, otherwise we'd be homeless. I just want my kids to be warm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)