Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can someone not "afford" Christmas? and yes, I'm broke as hell, before you even ask.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I understand saying that you can't afford to "buy presents" for Christmas. I know it sucks, especially when you have excited little ones. Trust me, I know. But saying you can't afford Christmas is like saying you can't afford to breathe. Christmas doesn't skip you just because you're broke. No one ever dies from not getting presents. Christmas isn't supposed to be about gifts anyway, right? Bake some cookies, or vegetables for those moms out there that hate cookies, and just love your kids. Use Christmas as a way to enjoy your family and do something good for others. Volunteers rock!!!!

If you can't afford to give your kids presents, then at least be in a happy and loving mood for them. If not being able to buy gifts is ruining your Christmas and puttiing you in a shitty mood, then why even bother?

I should have expected the cattiness. I have been there...I have been that mom who couldn't afford presents...it is heartbreaking to see your kids have to go without while others get so much. But we, as adults, have to rise above it. if you can't change your situaton, then make the best of it. That's all I'm saying. And yes, I am poor for those of you berating me because you think I'm some rich well-to-do bitch.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM
3 moms liked this
Agreed. I think it's ridiculous that parents have brainwashed their little ones to the point where they believe presents are a must have in order to enjoy the holidays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it is safe to assume you've never been THIS poor. Lucky you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM
No it won't and I do my best to fake it. Christmas USED to be my favorite time of year and one fucktard ruined it for me. I haven't been able to let go of the anger and sadness. Yes, if is depressing that I can't get my kids nice things for Christmas. However, it's more depressing that the "family" part of Christmas has forever been changed for one of my children and its incredibly depressing to comfort my crying 5 year old because she wants her dad for Christmas and I can't allow it. We make the best of it and while its different the kids still have a good time. I fake a good time fairly well, but for me the family aspect is the most important part of Christmas and its been forever ruined.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Meh. Its depressing when you know your kids will be the only ones in class disappointed because Santa forgot them.

No. It's not about the gifts entirely. But they are nice to receive. And if your in a position where you can't afford them, it gets ya down.

Oh I know. I've been there. But if you can't change the situation, just make the best of it. being angry and bitter won't make it any better.

PurplePieguy
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Our schools partner with our local churches to help needy families. There are also things like Toys for Tots and Angel Tree. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

When people say they can't afford Christmas.. they mean presents, food, decorations, etc....

You might think that baking cookies is enough but seeing the disappointment in your child's face when Santa filled his stocking with an apple and an orange is enough to make you want to crawl into a hole a die.

Especially when he has to go to school and hear his friends tell him Santa brought them an Xbox, games, toys, clothes, chocolates and money.

You don't get it. You must be able to give your children a great Xmas.

I do get it. i promise. I didn't mean to imply that you shuoldn't wANT to give your kids a lot of presents...I'm saying that if you can't afford to do it, and they are disappointed, don't make it worse by being depressed and down about it. Distract them, cookies were just an example. I can't afford any presents this year, so we are all volunteering at the soup kitchen and then coming home to watch movies, eat cookies and be thankful that .

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly! My kids are by no means spoiled, but out is heart breaking to think of them having nothing for Christmas. Cheer and goods will towards men dont take that away, sorry

Quoting Anonymous:

When people say they can't afford Christmas.. they mean presents, food, decorations, etc....

You might think that baking cookies is enough but seeing the disappointment in your child's face when Santa filled his stocking with an apple and an orange is enough to make you want to crawl into a hole a die.

Especially when he has to go to school and hear his friends tell him Santa brought them an Xbox, games, toys, clothes, chocolates and money.

You don't get it. You must be able to give your children a great Xmas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Do you have any idea how heartbreaking it is to have to rely on that? Yes, the kids will get a gift but it is humiliating to not be able to provide that yourself!

Quoting 702girly:

I think it's just a way of fishing for sympathy and handouts. Anybody can go to a food bank and get some food to make Christmas dinner and sign their kids up to get at least one gift from charity.

Bam, free Christmas. Maybe not the fanciest, most awesome Christmas ever but Christmas just the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Quoting LoriLou75:

I think it is safe to assume you've never been THIS poor. Lucky you.

If you assumed that, then you are wrong. We are broke as hell.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Obviously, They mean the toys.... BUT, I disagree. Anyone can afford 2-5 bucks at the dollar tree. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I will most likely not be having Christmas with my family. I will be in the hospital and my dh will be working.
We have no money and mommy and daddy won't be there. So yeah my kids probably won't like Christmas.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)