Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can someone not "afford" Christmas? and yes, I'm broke as hell, before you even ask.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I understand saying that you can't afford to "buy presents" for Christmas. I know it sucks, especially when you have excited little ones. Trust me, I know. But saying you can't afford Christmas is like saying you can't afford to breathe. Christmas doesn't skip you just because you're broke. No one ever dies from not getting presents. Christmas isn't supposed to be about gifts anyway, right? Bake some cookies, or vegetables for those moms out there that hate cookies, and just love your kids. Use Christmas as a way to enjoy your family and do something good for others. Volunteers rock!!!!

If you can't afford to give your kids presents, then at least be in a happy and loving mood for them. If not being able to buy gifts is ruining your Christmas and puttiing you in a shitty mood, then why even bother?

I should have expected the cattiness. I have been there...I have been that mom who couldn't afford presents...it is heartbreaking to see your kids have to go without while others get so much. But we, as adults, have to rise above it. if you can't change your situaton, then make the best of it. That's all I'm saying. And yes, I am poor for those of you berating me because you think I'm some rich well-to-do bitch.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Replies (21-30):
MumaSue
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Just because someone says "I can't afford Christmas" doesn't mean they wont love and hug or show their kids the spirit of Christmas. It just means they can not afford to give gifts. It's nothing like saying someone can't afford to breath.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I can't give my kids Christmas gifts, but that's because I'm using my money to put a roof over their heads and food in their mouths. When I think of how many people are living with family because they can't afford those things not buying gifts doesn't seem so bad. A home and food ARE my children's gifts. They won't understand or appreciate it now, but one day they will. I hope things look up for you soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

I won't be able to afford presents, and that's fine with us... Just personally I wish we could afford a place to live. We're staying with in-laws right now, otherwise we'd be homeless. I just want my kids to be warm.

MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have any idea how heartbreaking it is to have to rely on that? Yes, the kids will get a gift but it is humiliating to not be able to provide that yourself!

Quoting 702girly:

I think it's just a way of fishing for sympathy and handouts. Anybody can go to a food bank and get some food to make Christmas dinner and sign their kids up to get at least one gift from charity.

Bam, free Christmas. Maybe not the fanciest, most awesome Christmas ever but Christmas just the same.

I would rather feel humiliated then allow my child to go without.

MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

This.

Quoting Anonymous:

When people say they can't afford Christmas.. they mean presents, food, decorations, etc....

You might think that baking cookies is enough but seeing the disappointment in your child's face when Santa filled his stocking with an apple and an orange is enough to make you want to crawl into a hole a die.

Especially when he has to go to school and hear his friends tell him Santa brought them an Xbox, games, toys, clothes, chocolates and money.

You don't get it. You must be able to give your children a great Xmas.

MrsRi
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

We do that anyway, beyond just around the holidays.  This is why I'm glad that my kids know that there's no santa.  we make a lot of gifts together, we do a lot of work around charities, and this year we're doing something super awesome for the kids, but we've been saving up for it for a while :) And will be up at the ass crack of dawn to hit up the black friday special to get them lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

we celebrate yule... we think christmas is just a stolen holiday used to try to force the pagans to be christians.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I can normally buy anything I want my girls to have for Christmas. Over the years they have gotten laptops, notebooks, ipods, tablets, flat screens and surrond sound. This year my mother passed and left nothing, I had to pay for everything. As soon as we got back from the funeral the fuel injectors went out on my car. I have explained to my girls we are having an Old fashioned Christmas, everything is going to be handmade with love. My husband and I are still going to get them gifts to open Christmas morning but we want them to understand the meaning of love and family.

Bethsunshine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

When people say they can't afford Christmas, they are saying they can't afford to buy presents which is what Christmas in this country is all about. If people have access to the internet, then they have access to freecycle and craigslist, which means they can find gently used toys and clothes for free for their kids. I belong to freecycle and there are ALWAYS people giving away toys on there. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

We can afford Christmas but we are putting a major focus on doing things for others. We are volunteering in the nursing home to help make the holidays brighter for the elder whose family has forgotten them.We are donating a huge pile of new dog beds to the humane society in town because its cold on the shelter floor and once the snow hits they have to swap out the beds a lot more frequently. I tried to be a volunteer coordinator for a cat adoption place but they won't let me bring my kids along so that is out. We are planning to get a whole bunch of thick work jeans and thick hiking socks for the mens shelter once the volunteer coordinator calls me back to give me what sizes they need the most.

I want my kids to think the Christmas season is about doing for others. 

Honestly, the only thing we don't donate to are the toy drives simply because I get sick of the lines of moms trying to return the toys at Walmart. I'd rather find a family that I know is actually in need.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Its called saving every penny you have so you can spend 20$ on a gift and hit up the dollar store for some stocking stuffers. Its not that hard to give a gift... You just have to learn to pinch a penny here and there. If you cant pinch a penny here and there you have bigger issues with your budget.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured