Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is getting a puppy when you have a toddler dumb?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you consider it dumb and/or dangerous to get a puppy when you have a 12 month old?

Why or why not?

We are getting a puppy for Christmas and have a 12 month old. Some people are saying its so irresponsible and dangerous getting one when the baby is so young. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
brittany208
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I don't think its dumb/dangerous at all. People who have dogs already don't get rid of them when the baby comes. I would get a very family friendly breed, obviously. And teach them both from a young age how to get along well with each other.

It might be a lot of work for you, but it doesnt put anyone in danger.

rmfanfgljf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I don't think so, my dd was givin a 4 week old puppy when she was 16 months, our new baby was only 2 weeks old. My dd loved that dog, full grown he was only about 5 pounds. We also had another baby when our oldest had just turned 5. It's a great opportunity to teach our kids about respecting animals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I think it is a LOT of work, but not dumb, by any means.

masonsmommy107
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Well just teach the puppy to play nice same with your toddler

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. They are saying it will scratch and bite her. Smh

Quoting masonsmommy107:

Why is it dangerous? I think it's better to have both of them grow up together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

No

redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

i wouldnt think so, it'll give you an oportunity to teach them to play nicely (the puppy and the toddler)

msmom29
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

we got a puppy about a month before my daughter was born, she was a jack russell, she was very good with my daughter, and my daughter loved her. I guess it depends on what kind of dog you get(I wouldnt want a bred thats known to be aggressive),i think animals that are raised around small children are better with them when they are full grown. Just teach the baby not to grab near the puppys mouth when its eating and you should be good.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I wouldn't say it's dangerous but it's way more stress than I'm willing to take on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't get a puppy. I don't have the patience. I want a dog that is already house trained because I don't want to have to clean up shit. :/
RLT2
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Dangerous? No      But, honestly don't you have enough shit to clean up on a daily basis?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured