Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is getting a puppy when you have a toddler dumb?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you consider it dumb and/or dangerous to get a puppy when you have a 12 month old?

Why or why not?

We are getting a puppy for Christmas and have a 12 month old. Some people are saying its so irresponsible and dangerous getting one when the baby is so young. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
do11face
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

We got our golden retriever puppy when my daughter had just turned 2. My son was 4.

It was a little crazy for a bit but everything calmed down quicker than I thought.
Some people might think it's crazy but if you have the time and devotion it should be fine.

We crate trained so that helped a lot. You can give a puppy time out with crate training when things get too wild, lol.

chaoticmess
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Get ready for alot of work its like havin 2 toddlers. if you are up for that and the training then go for it . what kind of puppy are you thinking of getting?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

yeah i would wait a little bit. Having a toddler and puupy would be tough - they both need so much attention. One would get shafted and it would probably be the poor puppy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM
You'll be finding a new home for that dog really quick. It's pretty much the same as having 2 toddlers at the same time. It's not the best idea.
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM
I dont see a problem with it. We have a chihuahua a.d he has been there since the day she was born. Dd is now 2 and the dog is 3 and they are the best of friends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

No I think it's great.

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

i dont think its dangerous, i do think its dumb, cause you already have to deal with a baby, and now you are going to have to deal with a puppy, but if you think that you can handle that then go for it, i wouldnt (however we will never have a dog since ds#1 is severly allergic).

Karenjm
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Oh they look sweet.  I don't know anything about them, so can't give any advice.  It's always good to do a little research, which I'm sure you did.  I have three dogs and had both my kids.  They get a long great and my kids know to respect dogs and not be afraid of them.  Anyway, I don't see why having a pup and a toddler would be dangerous, unless it's a dangerous dog or came from a bad breeder.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Great pyrenees

Quoting Karenjm:

I think it's great.  They can grow up together.  Although it depends on the puppy obviously.  They can be a lot of work and so is your toddler.  The puppy will most likely want to play with the toddler and may hurt him or her, but you just need to keep an eye on it.  What type of puppy is it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I wouldn't say dumb, difficult more or less. Both the pup and the child require A LOT of undivided attention. Depending on the bread it may require more time and effort to training. Both my brother and I grew up with dogs, but my parents waited until we were old enough (around 5) to help with training. 

mamabear55
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

we got a lab puppy for my 3 month old.  They are BEST FRIENDS!!!  he's about 3 now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)