Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is getting a puppy when you have a toddler dumb?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you consider it dumb and/or dangerous to get a puppy when you have a 12 month old?

Why or why not?

We are getting a puppy for Christmas and have a 12 month old. Some people are saying its so irresponsible and dangerous getting one when the baby is so young. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
mindymay84
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My SIL just did this. She has twin 14 month old boys and just got a puppy. I bet her hands are so full right now!

Quoting ashleywright88:

From personal expierence, yes. But it could have been because when I got a puppy when I had twin toddlers. It was awful lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerain31
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM
No not at all I think its great but make sure its a puppy n keep eye out just to be safe but puppys are great for kids
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bri060492
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I think you need to put a lot of thought into this

a puppy is like having another child.

Do you know if your kid is allergic to dogs? how about the needs of this dog? Can you afford vet bills ontop of everything else? Can you afford the costs of dog food, training, and toys?

If you answer no to any of these and still go about getting a dog. Then yes it is irresponsible and can be extremely dangerous.

bluerain31
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM
But I agree its more work n alot more money for food etc
momto3B
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

# 1 - never get a dog at or for a holiday

#2  - unless you are really good dog people, have had dogs, are good at training dogs. DO NOT get a puppy. 

Actually, scratch # 2 because if you were dog people you would not be soliciting advice, so yes, getting a puppy with a toddler is dumb. 

DO NOT DO IT. 

bluerain31
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM
But I agree its more work n alot more money for food etc
lisa601
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM
It's dangerous for your carpet. I got a puppy when the boys were 5 and 2. The only problem was I would put the puppy in his crate and they would let him out.

He marked a spot in our bedroom that to this day he still pees on if he gets in there. He's only allowed in the kitchen and den.
ginger813
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Dangerous? Probably not. A little bit crazy, maybe, lol. We got a puppy when my oldest was really little, and it was A LOT of work. We don't have that dog anymore. I've been wanting to get another dog, but decided to wait until my youngest (age 2) is a little bit older. We'll probably get one next year sometime.

SalmonBerry87
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I don't see the problem AS LONG as you are familiar with the breed and careful with supervised playtime, there shouldn't be an issue.

GP's are known for developing food aggression, that's the only problem I could see. My sister's started getting that way so when it was mealtime, every member of their family had to hold his bowl and feed him a few bites by hand before they set it down so he could eat. Worked for them. The 7 year old GP we just adopted is not food aggressive at all with people but she does get a little possesive when it comes to our other dogs.

Another issue is that they go through the terrible 2s. Some start to get people aggressive toward strangers/visitors around that age if they aren't socialized properly. They are guardian dogs as I'm sure you know, so protectiveness is in their nature, it just has to be pointed in the right direction.

Oh! GP's also have special dietary requrements. They can't have a food with a protein content of more than 24% I believe. And the amount of fat has to be around 10% I think. They have slow metabolisms. Also- Hip Displaysia is VERY prominent in this breed. Mine has it. Also the thing is with big dogs, their life span is naturally shorter. Just something to think about.

Personally I hate raising puppies and prefer adopting adult dogs who need a home. But that's just me.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My husband decided to get a new puppy when our daughter was only 7 months old.  It was stressful to have to train the dog at the same time as having an infant/toddler in the home.  Think about all the work that a new puppy entails and see if you are fully commited to being a loving and patient caregiver.

You also have to consider that all animals are unpredictable.  So are toddlers.  The two together could be a bad combination.  It isn't fair to constantly kennel the dog just so your toddler leaves it alone.  It also isn't fair to expect an animal to be tolerate of an aggressive child.  

You will not be able to turn your back on either of them for any length of time.  Really think through what you want your home enviroment to be like before commiting to adopting an animal into your family.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN