Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is getting a puppy when you have a toddler dumb?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you consider it dumb and/or dangerous to get a puppy when you have a 12 month old?

Why or why not?

We are getting a puppy for Christmas and have a 12 month old. Some people are saying its so irresponsible and dangerous getting one when the baby is so young. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
areyouatroll
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Ummmmm for most people, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Its not dangerous at all. Teach puppy how to act with baby, teach baby how to act with puppy. Don't leave them together unsupervised. Pretty simple
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Oh and GP's are also barkers, diggers, and roamers. And they are slower than most dogs. Not just physically. They think about things. They were bred to think forthemselves and do what they had to to protect their herd/flock/whatever. So they have to be trained different than other dogs. So if you don't have specific experience with this breed of dog, then yes, I think it's an issue. I think the fact that you're asking for advice on CM shows you don't have much dog experience at all.
So if you DO choose to get a puppy, please don't get a GP. Get a breed you are more familliar with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beethann
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Quoting mamabear55:

we got a lab puppy for my 3 month old.  They are BEST FRIENDS!!!  he's about 3 now

OMG! how did you survive?? I just got a Newfy mix in July (everyone mistakes him for a lab though) I have a 15 month old, 3 year old and an 8 year old. BIGGEST. MISTAKE.OF.MY.LIFE! I will never do it again LOL. We are going better now. But man, has it been a process training this dog!

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM
We got a puppy when dd just turned 3, and ds was 6 months. We got another puppy when DS was 13 months old. I don't think its dumb. Just depends if you can handle it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabear55
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

She was really smart and immediately started pottying outside only

Quoting beethann:

Quoting mamabear55:

we got a lab puppy for my 3 month old.  They are BEST FRIENDS!!!  he's about 3 now

OMG! how did you survive?? I just got a Newfy mix in July (everyone mistakes him for a lab though) I have a 15 month old, 3 year old and an 8 year old. BIGGEST. MISTAKE.OF.MY.LIFE! I will never do it again LOL. We are going better now. But man, has it been a process training this dog!

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I can't say anything.  Although we didn't have a puppy, we had two kittens when we first had DD.  As big of a pain it is to have and deal with, it's nice that DD is growing up with a pet because she's learned a lot (as much as a 2 year old can learn about pets) and because of the cats she has cultivated a love for animals. 

LucyHarper
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM

No, as long as you are responsible and smart. We got three dogs from when my son was born and when he was three, never had any problems with it. We didn't ever leave him alone with the dogs, trained the dogs, and was right there next to him every second he was with the dogs until we were sure that he knew how to treat animals and that we could trust the dogs with him.

beethann
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting beethann:

Quoting mamabear55:

oh, potty training was a breeze!  This dog is just so hyper. He gets two half hour walks a day and can run around the farm as much as he would like. Its when he is inside he just steals things and then plays the "catch me if you can" game. jumps up to the table to try to eat food. runs around. Just so much energy. We have started putting him on a leash attached to us in the house so he is not just allowed to "roam" and he sees what he supposed to be doing. It has helped A LOT! We are also working on Kennel training.  

mamabear55
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

we are lucky.  our son has been crawling on her forever!

Quoting beethann:

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting beethann:

Quoting mamabear55:

oh, potty training was a breeze!  This dog is just so hyper. He gets two half hour walks a day and can run around the farm as much as he would like. Its when he is inside he just steals things and then plays the "catch me if you can" game. jumps up to the table to try to eat food. runs around. Just so much energy. We have started putting him on a leash attached to us in the house so he is not just allowed to "roam" and he sees what he supposed to be doing. It has helped A LOT! We are also working on Kennel training.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN