Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

nurses/doctors vindictive??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

Thinking specifically about L&D/, only b/c that happens to be the only immediate example in my head

Do you think nurses and/or doctors are or will be vindictive to patients who had made their wishes for a natural labor well-known and then wound up needing medical intervention or requesting extra medical care?? I always have this fear...wonder what others think??

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Earrthmommie
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Depends on the dr/nurse everyone is different with their views
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

no

kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Everything I wanted and not wanted to happen did and didn't both times. I made my choices very clear and they went by them. Were very nice and understanding about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM

shrugs

ninjakids
by Christina on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM
It all depends. As someone studying to become a nurse, i would be supportive...at the same time if a woman is screaming at me etc ( while i would help her try to get through it ) Im not going to be as pleasant with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

ah, I feel like you're looking at it differently than some of those normally unpleasant nurses i've encounterd in L&D. you're still excited about the job. I know, I'm totally being a Debbie Downer, it just makes me wonder. lol. 

Quoting ninjakids:

It all depends. As someone studying to become a nurse, i would be supportive...at the same time if a woman is screaming at me etc ( while i would help her try to get through it ) Im not going to be as pleasant with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM
I think some are, I know when I was in labor with my youngest some of the nurses seemed very angry that I didn't want an epidural and were very mean to me. I actually went into anaphylactic shock from the morphine they gave me and when I told the nurse I was having trouble breathing she said I was having a panic attack and being over dramatic. Ha, I showed her when I lost consciousness, huh? I honestly think she was short with me because I kept refusing the epidural.
JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Nurses only become assholes when the patient is an asshole first. I don't do L & D but I don't see how a change of plans would make a nurse treat you differently.

Eta before someone quotes me and argues. I'm sure there are always people having a bad day that can be short or abrupt, but for the most part, I've never really seen a nurse try to get revenge or be vindictive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

You had morphine in L&D, that's a pretty big deal. May I ask why?? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think some are, I know when I was in labor with my youngest some of the nurses seemed very angry that I didn't want an epidural and were very mean to me. I actually went into anaphylactic shock from the morphine they gave me and when I told the nurse I was having trouble breathing she said I was having a panic attack and being over dramatic. Ha, I showed her when I lost consciousness, huh? I honestly think she was short with me because I kept refusing the epidural.

ninjakids
by Christina on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I wanted to get into it to help people and because i know there is nothing worse then a mean nurse ( for the most part Im a people person Haha ). Some nurses just don't give people a chance..when i said i did not want the epidural a nurse snapped at me saying " don't take it off the table " i also said do not tell me when its my lastchance for one because it might scare me into it..of course she did and she scared me into it because i thought " wow if Im in this much pain now at 7 it'll be worse at 10.."lluckily i had a great nurse who forced me to stick to my plan and told the anethieologist no when he came without me knowing and my pain never peaked from 7 cm. She helped me through it. Same as my second that nurse never mentioned the epidural once after me saying i didn't want it. These were great ones (& one id like to be like).

Quoting Anonymous:

ah, I feel like you're looking at it differently than some of those normally unpleasant nurses i've encounterd in L&D. you're still excited about the job. I know, I'm totally being a Debbie Downer, it just makes me wonder. lol. 

Quoting ninjakids:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN