Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oh we don't fit in

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies
DH and I were talking to a group of parents of kids in DS's class and we started talking about Hurricane Sandy. One of the moms told us her garage flooded then said, "and the boathouse flooded too."
DH and I were like *blink blink.* LOL
It just caught us so off guard, the way she said it, as if everyone has a boat house.
Ah, just more confirmation that we just don't fit in with the other families at DS's school. At least the kids don't care and DS has tons of friends.
Let me clarify some things:
1. DS is a scholarship student in a private college prep school. By nature of the fact that a year of kindergarten is $15,000, yes, most of these families are very well off.
2. We feel like we don't fit in due to numerous factors (age differences being a big one) but it doesn't stop us from socializing and getting to know other parents. Our child is going to be going to school with these kids for 12 more years.
3. We LOVE his school, evidenced by the fact we chose it. The parents are all very nice and we will make friends eventually.
4. The humor here IS our own insecurity. Truth is, income doesn't MATTER. It's who you are, and we know that, but we were the momentary victims of culture shock. That is all.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM
So what is the issue here? Are you uncomfortable?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momtimestwo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM
I wouldn't have thought twice about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM
No issue, just a funny story.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

edelweiss23
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM
A boathouse could be something as simple as a shed they keep kayaks or a canoe in.
My parents have a "boathouse" that they keep their kayaks, rowboat, lifejackets,and canoe in during the winter
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't sound like that shocking of a comment to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Sounds like she was just trying to make conversation. I don't see the big deal.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Lots of people down by the water have a boathouse and aren't the, "elite", all along the canals there were always boathouses.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Oh, okay. Well hopefully they're not snobby people. I'm sure you can still fit in.

Quoting Anonymous:

No issue, just a funny story.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluebunbun
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

lol the mom's in my dd's ballet class were talking about being tight on money and might need to take her dd out then in the same breath said her dh just few their plan out to talk to her in laws.....oh jersey 

702girly
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the issue. Should she have not mentioned it out of fear of offending those who don't have boathouses?

I guarantee she knows a boathouse is not something everyone has but she does have one and it flooded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN