Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ireland women dies when she is denied medical abortion **Edit

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM
  • 162 Replies

I just wanted to share this article , cause it's horrible and as a women in the US it's just about unimaginable to me . 

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

She spent a further 2½ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.

Intensive care 

The dead foetus was removed and Savita was taken to the high dependency unit and then the intensive care unit, where she died of septicaemia on the 28th.

An autopsy carried out by Dr Grace Callagy two days later found she died of septicaemia “documented ante-mortem” and E.coli ESBL.

more Info @ - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

EDIT TO ADD MORE INFO ON WHY she had infection and how an abortion would have helped her - 

Because her cervix remained fully open for this time, Savita was in prolonged danger of infection, comparable to having an untreated open head wound. Savita developed septicaemia, and she died on Sunday 28 October, a week after entering hospital.

By then doctors had removed the foetus, but only after its heartbeat had stopped. If they had removed the foetus when it was clear that it could not survive, Savita’s cervix would have closed earlier and she would have been less likely to develop the infection.

Rachel Donnelly, a spokeswoman for pro-choice campaigners in Galway, says: “This was an obstetric emergency which should have been dealt with in a routine manner. Yet Irish doctors are restrained from making obvious medical decisions by a fear of potentially severe consequences.”

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2012/11/14/tragedy-shame-and-outrage-as-pregnant-savita-dies-in-irish-hospital-because-of-catholic-dogma-and-political-cowardice/

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM
How horrible! Am abortion ban in the US, even with medicine exceptions would make stories like this the norm!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
702girly
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That is fucking disgusting.

BDolphins82
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM
8 moms liked this

OMG How horrible.  Thankfully I live in the U.S. where abortions are legally available and not ruled by someone else religion that I do not believe in.

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Quoting LoriLou75:

How horrible! Am abortion ban in the US, even with medicine exceptions would make stories like this the norm!

To be in agony and already Know that you are losing the pregnancy and then have someone tell you "This is a catholic country.." well that got to me! Maybe because it reminds me of the nurse I dealt with at St Claire's (?)..anyway .., I just was so outraged . They start pulling this sh*t here there will be women in the streets protesting. 

.mandabear.
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

This is heartbreaking.

QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
4 moms liked this
How terrible

Just another reason abortions should be safe and legal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Quoting 702girly:

I almost didn't post it ,  because abortion is so often posted about here , but I just had to . I wanted everyone to see whats happened to this woman and her family . What a senseless loss.

JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Yep

Quoting BDolphins82:

OMG How horrible.  Thankfully I live in the U.S. where abortions are legally available and not ruled by someone else religion that I do not believe in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyleigh80
by Amy... on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

That is horrifying....Poor woman.  Shame on those evil, judgemental people.

702girly
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Quoting 702girly:

I almost didn't post it ,  because abortion is so often posted about here , but I just had to . I wanted everyone to see whats happened to this woman and her family . What a senseless loss.

It sure is senseless. I'm not mad you posted it, I'm just pissed off that this happened to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured