Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Really? Its their damn store. They have a roght to open whenever they want. And if those people dont want to work.. then dont. Theres millions of others who would love to take their job.
Liz132
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I won't be going shopping. Thanksgiving is about spending time with my family not spending money. If people don't go out shopping on thanksgiving next year the stores won't bother to be open then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I'm not boycotting, DH will be in line at TRU Thanksgiving night ready to start at 10pm and going to several other stores. With costs rising we take advantage of good sales when we can. I'm sorry that people don't get a lot of time off in retail but that's how it goes. When I worked we were open everyday except Christmas, if I was scheduled to work then we rearranged our plans. I loved making time and a half!
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM

This

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't need to boycott because I don't shop anywhere that day.

mommajenn4684
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
3 moms liked this
You do realize that not everyone celebrates thanksgiving right? You throwing a fit over this isnt going to change their mind. Make a choice on your own to shop or not to shop. The people who work retail (myself included) have the choice to work or not work In a job that requires us to sometimes work strange hours and be away from our families. Most of us just rearrange our schedules and make the best of it because what elae can you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Maybe they could volunteer at children's hospitals or nursing homes?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I feel for those working in retail stores that will be opening on Thanksgiving, day or night. Years and years ago, I worked retail and had to do so on holidays so I DO understand.

However, the flip side are those without families or friends to spend the day with who would actually prefer to be somewhere--even working.

AJB163
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
I think boycotting is a bit childish in this very aspect.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to not spend time with your family on Thanksgiving. I think you're just boycotting to cause drama. They aren't doing anything physically to you, so let them be. Why punish them for not doing anything to you?

Okay, you want to spend time with your family? Do that... Quit butting your head in other families choices and decisions for the holidays. That's not for you to decide for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't but then again my husband works for walmart and has to be there. Their sales that day will make sure i have a bonus in March and that it will be a high bonus. So even I benefit from black friday. Your boycotting can actually hurt the employees who you are so desperate to help. Also they get over time for the 12 hours they work that day thats goes to buy my kids gifts for xmas. On top of that they look fwd to me. If they work holiday i bring them sweets.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Of course, get good deals and support Chinas economy!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not boycotting, DH will be in line at TRU Thanksgiving night ready to start at 10pm and going to several other stores. With costs rising we take advantage of good sales when we can. I'm sorry that people don't get a lot of time off in retail but that's how it goes. When I worked we were open everyday except Christmas, if I was scheduled to work then we rearranged our plans. I loved making time and a half!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I'm not forcing anyone to boycott or even open this post...the title is clear..

Quoting AJB163:

I think boycotting is a bit childish in this very aspect.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to not spend time with your family on Thanksgiving. I think you're just boycotting to cause drama. They aren't doing anything physically to you, so let them be. Why punish them for not doing anything to you?

Okay, you want to spend time with your family? Do that... Quit butting your head in other families choices and decisions for the holidays. That's not for you to decide for them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)