Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (121-130):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Great, keep supporting Chinas economy, that will really help ensure your children's future. Hope your teaching them the language!

Quoting kmjmlj:

I'll be shopping and saving money while doing so. I don't need a day to celebrate my family I do that daily. We get together and cook and eat then what go waste time shopping.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM
I haven't looked at ads yet. If there's good things ill go. If there isn't then I won't. My hubby is off this year and I'm going out with him and enjoying it all because guess what? People who don't work retail have to work holidays every year. Last year he worked Christmas Eve and day.
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Retail employees are not salary. So Target, WM, Kmart, etc are not salaried employees. I'm a little confused by your logic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right, but a lot of stores are just doing a 'test run' on thanksgiving this year. So most of the people working are on salary and don't get paid more. Also, those same stores will be open the next day, with the same sales. So if we put a stop to it this year, next year it will go back to normal :)

Quoting HIJKLM:

Yes but the employees selling it live right here and need their jobs

Quoting Anonymous:

Girl, all of that junk is made in China! Go China!

Quoting HIJKLM:

I won't shop on thanksgiving but I wouldn't go as far as boycotting. Our economy is bad enough right now. Boycotting a business because I think they should give their employees the day off just might do more damage than good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Managers, supervisors, store managers, assistant managers all are on salary...and they all do have to work so the hourly employees don't get overtime in case the stores don't make any money.

Quoting lnrmom:

Retail employees are not salary. So Target, WM, Kmart, etc are not salaried employees. I'm a little confused by your logic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right, but a lot of stores are just doing a 'test run' on thanksgiving this year. So most of the people working are on salary and don't get paid more. Also, those same stores will be open the next day, with the same sales. So if we put a stop to it this year, next year it will go back to normal :)

Quoting HIJKLM:

Yes but the employees selling it live right here and need their jobs

Quoting Anonymous:

Girl, all of that junk is made in China! Go China!

Quoting HIJKLM:

I won't shop on thanksgiving but I wouldn't go as far as boycotting. Our economy is bad enough right now. Boycotting a business because I think they should give their employees the day off just might do more damage than good.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
If a person chooses to work retail, they know workers and holidays are often mandatory. If you don't want these hours, dont work retail.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because now a lot of retail workers get ZERO days off during the holidays.

Obviously this is the US, I'm not proposing a law..

I dont agree and will not shop Thanksgiving, I will also talk to everyone I know and encourage them to not shop Thursday either.

I do not have a job, so not sure what that has to do with it.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Why boycott them? This is the US, we allow businesses here to set whatever hours they wish, and it should stay that way. If you don't like it, dont shop those days, and get a job outside of retail
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I wouldn't boycott.  Things must be different down in the states.  Most stores etc are closed on all Holidays, maybe some gas stations, timmies ummmm corner stores, hotels would be open, that's about it.  Department stores etc and always closed.  My SO works in retail and gets every Holiday off and obviously we like it that way.  He gets paid for the day but ends up getting an extra day off during the week so it all evens out and adds up to him working a normal 40 hour week.

However when I worked, I worked in the Hotel industry and that industry closes for NOTHING!  I got used to working holidays and actually looked forward to working them because I always made double time and a half and didnt get an extra day off through the week, so holiday pay was AWESOME.  But of course, that was when I when I didn't have children, Honestly I would much rather be with my kids on Holidays :)

..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

While *I* won't be shopping...I guess I don't see the problem for those that want to. Most employers will be required to pay time and half for those employees willing to work that day. I'm sure there are MANY jumping at that opportunity right now. 

ExquisiteMomof2
by PHOTOGMOM on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
I'm okay with it as long as the employees are not required to work. There are people out there that want to work those days because they have no family or they don't celebrate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
People in the medical field and public service work all holidays. What's the big deal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM
These hours on Thanksgiving have not been mandatory until this week.

Quoting LoriLou75:

If a person chooses to work retail, they know workers and holidays are often mandatory. If you don't want these hours, dont work retail.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because now a lot of retail workers get ZERO days off during the holidays.

Obviously this is the US, I'm not proposing a law..

I dont agree and will not shop Thanksgiving, I will also talk to everyone I know and encourage them to not shop Thursday either.

I do not have a job, so not sure what that has to do with it.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Why boycott them? This is the US, we allow businesses here to set whatever hours they wish, and it should stay that way. If you don't like it, dont shop those days, and get a job outside of retail
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)