Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (131-140):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

And they all get profit sharing I'm sure.

If they don't like it, they can quit and find somewhere else to work. Everyone who has EVER worked retail knows that this is a possibility.

It's just a day. One day. A day that a lot of these places were already going to be open ANYWAY, and a lot of these people would have had to work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Managers, supervisors, store managers, assistant managers all are on salary...and they all do have to work so the hourly employees don't get overtime in case the stores don't make any money.

Quoting lnrmom:

Retail employees are not salary. So Target, WM, Kmart, etc are not salaried employees. I'm a little confused by your logic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right, but a lot of stores are just doing a 'test run' on thanksgiving this year. So most of the people working are on salary and don't get paid more. Also, those same stores will be open the next day, with the same sales. So if we put a stop to it this year, next year it will go back to normal :)

Quoting HIJKLM:

Yes but the employees selling it live right here and need their jobs

Quoting Anonymous:

Girl, all of that junk is made in China! Go China!

Quoting HIJKLM:

I won't shop on thanksgiving but I wouldn't go as far as boycotting. Our economy is bad enough right now. Boycotting a business because I think they should give their employees the day off just might do more damage than good.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I live in Canada so thanksgiving is a different day but I would always work it for 1.5 pay. My store isn't closed on that day though only Remembrance Day, Christmas and New Year's Day. I've only seen things like the bank closed on thanksgiving.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
You said you dont work?

Quoting Anonymous:

These hours on Thanksgiving have not been mandatory until this week.

Quoting LoriLou75:

If a person chooses to work retail, they know workers and holidays are often mandatory. If you don't want these hours, dont work retail.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because now a lot of retail workers get ZERO days off during the holidays.

Obviously this is the US, I'm not proposing a law..

I dont agree and will not shop Thanksgiving, I will also talk to everyone I know and encourage them to not shop Thursday either.

I do not have a job, so not sure what that has to do with it.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Why boycott them? This is the US, we allow businesses here to set whatever hours they wish, and it should stay that way. If you don't like it, dont shop those days, and get a job outside of retail
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM
They have never been open before. There a several major stores in my area opening for the *first time* on Thanksgiving this year.

Quoting lnrmom:

If they don't like it, they can quit and find somewhere else to work. Everyone who has EVER worked retail knows that this is a possibility.

It's just a day. One day. A day that a lot of these places were already going to be open ANYWAY, and a lot of these people would have had to work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Managers, supervisors, store managers, assistant managers all are on salary...and they all do have to work so the hourly employees don't get overtime in case the stores don't make any money.

Quoting lnrmom:

Retail employees are not salary. So Target, WM, Kmart, etc are not salaried employees. I'm a little confused by your logic.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right, but a lot of stores are just doing a 'test run' on thanksgiving this year. So most of the people working are on salary and don't get paid more. Also, those same stores will be open the next day, with the same sales. So if we put a stop to it this year, next year it will go back to normal :)

Quoting HIJKLM:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

I won't shop on thanksgiving but I wouldn't go as far as boycotting. Our economy is bad enough right now. Boycotting a business because I think they should give their employees the day off just might do more damage than good.

kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM
So you never ever buy stuff from china or any where else. We wouldn't have to if the US would make more stuff here until then I buy what ever. Truthfully I don't look where something is made any way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Great, keep supporting Chinas economy, that will really help ensure your children's future. Hope your teaching them the language!

Quoting kmjmlj:

I'll be shopping and saving money while doing so. I don't need a day to celebrate my family I do that daily. We get together and cook and eat then what go waste time shopping.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM

In my area, they are open every day but Christmas. Which is probably why I'm not comprehending your issue.

Quoting Anonymous:

They have never been open before. There a several major stores in my area opening for the *first time* on Thanksgiving this year.

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM
?

Quoting LoriLou75:

You said you dont work?

Quoting Anonymous:

These hours on Thanksgiving have not been mandatory until this week.

Quoting LoriLou75:

If a person chooses to work retail, they know workers and holidays are often mandatory. If you don't want these hours, dont work retail.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because now a lot of retail workers get ZERO days off during the holidays.

Obviously this is the US, I'm not proposing a law..

I dont agree and will not shop Thanksgiving, I will also talk to everyone I know and encourage them to not shop Thursday either.

I do not have a job, so not sure what that has to do with it.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Why boycott them? This is the US, we allow businesses here to set whatever hours they wish, and it should stay that way. If you don't like it, dont shop those days, and get a job outside of retail
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Oh ya I am in Indiana

Quoting lnrmom:

In my area, they are open every day but Christmas. Which is probably why I'm not comprehending your issue.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Where I live everyone must be paid time and a half on holidays. No ifs ands or buts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting HIJKLM:

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I won't be out (it's not my thing) but I certainly will not support a boycott!  That's just crazy.  Like I posted to the last person who was whining about having to work on the holiday:

1) There are plenty of jobs that don't include holiday time off.  EMS, 911, Police, Hospital.  Should hospitals close because it's a family holiday?

2) Someone wants to work those hours.  Someone is THANKFUL for the extra pay and time.  If you are not one of those people, by all means allow someone else to work that time.  

4) Turkey doesn't expire on Thanksgiving night.  If your hubs or you will not be able to make the traditional celebration, plan something nice for later.  

Most ADULTS accept that everything will not go there way all the time, and they adjust.  If you are unable to do this, there is someone who can and will.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN