Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who thinks we should boycott stores open on thanksgiving for early sales?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think everyone should boycott stores opening on Thursday for Black Friday. I understand that those people that work on retail do need to do their job, but this is just ridiculous.

I thought opening at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning was extreme! Now a lot of stores are opening all day Thanksgiving!

People that work retail get two days off in the holiday season, Thanksgiving & Christmas. That's it. Usually they are working until midnight the night before the holidays, and showing up at 5 am the next day. Those are usually the two days they can count to see (local) family, going out of state is out of the question.

So can someone please help me make one of those chain email things that we can pass around Facebook and inboxes, so maybe these big companies will get the message!

Thanksgiving is for family, not consumerism!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (141-150):
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I never shop the black Friday (now Thursday) sales. Its not worth getting trampled, punched, or having the things that you just purchased stole out of your cart while you are trying to put your stuff in your car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I live in Oklahoma City, I have also lived in Dallas, Seattle, Chicago, and Southern California. All of these places retail stores are typically open on Thanksgiving.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh ya I am in Indiana

Quoting lnrmom:

In my area, they are open every day but Christmas. Which is probably why I'm not comprehending your issue.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I have shopped black friday for years and none of these things have ever happened to me. Go to the stores away from the city.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

I never shop the black Friday (now Thursday) sales. Its not worth getting trampled, punched, or having the things that you just purchased stole out of your cart while you are trying to put your stuff in your car.

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

No way. I love that shit!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

every response I see from you is rude and condescending. knock it off.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

She has to be open 24 hours a day for every single day of the year? No. She just has to work ona holiday. Oh no, she will have to be with her family on a different day. How is that such a damn issue?

WAH MY DH IS AT WORK RIGHT NOW I'M SO LONELY. I haven't seen him since 8 am this morning. WAH WAH SO LONELY. 

Why are you so in love with the calender? What is so freakin special about next Thursday? Is everyone dying next Friday so next Thursday is the last time they will ever see each other? I really don't get it. Do they only love their family 1 day out of the year? Why can't they celebrate Thanksgiving on a different day? I love my family every day and I enjoy seeing them on any day. Likewise, I enjoy turkey on any day of the year.

Quoting Kitschy:

Did you read the post about the woman who's company just called her today to tell her to be open? She can't be with her family now. the post was so heart breaking I couldn't even comment on it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Then I guess I would know in advance that retail workers generally have to work on holidays and not be a retail worker if it was such a big deal to me.

No retail workers are overly shocked that their store is selling crap on holidays. It happens every year. Walmart generally only closes 36 hours a year and that is for Christmas. Everyone could predict that Walmart would be open on Thanksgiving

Quoting Kitschy:

If you were a cashier at Walmart it's likely that you would get an extra day off later in the week to make up for your hours on Thanksgiving. Better yet, if you are a full time employee you lose your paid holiday. 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Wouldn't one have to CHOOSE to let it ruin their tradition? 

If my only job was a cashier at Walmart I sure as hell would love to work more hours so I could support my family. Being home with my family is great.. but having the heat on so my kids are warm is more important to me. Retail employees are not rich and most of them can surely use the extra money if they are a bit sad while working on that day.

If DH's job was open on Thanksgiving and Christmas he would volunteer to go in. His job pays 2.5x pay on holidays and he cares more about providing for our children then having days the calender says are special off. Why can't your scheduled days off be just as special as a holiday? Did you know you can eat turkey with family on ANY day of the year? We had turkey for dinner last night. Happy Tuesday, mom roasted a turkey. Family can get together on any day. SO much drama over nothing.

Quoting Kitschy:

Either way is ruins some one's tradition with that logic.

ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The only store I go to on Thanksgiving has always been open on Thanksgiving (they also have groceries).  

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM
I live in a small town. But the closest town (30 minutes away) happens to be a college town. The next town is an additional hour away and is also considered a small town. I worked black friday in both towns and that was the norm. I guess when you get a bunch of college kids or a bunch of rednecks together wanting the same things crazy stuff happens. It has gotten better in the last couple of years because the stores have the cops walking around trying to keep everything under control. One year a college kid hit an old lady to take a dvd from her that was regular price.

Quoting lnrmom:

I have shopped black friday for years and none of these things have ever happened to me. Go to the stores away from the city.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

LOL Oh wow. I've heard of that mess happening, but I just go to the "bedroom community" stores, the ones that are in the suburbs. People around here typically go to the ones in the city. We never have problems. One year, we were in and out in five minutes flat. Hasn't happened again, LOL... but it was epic.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

I live in a small town. But the closest town (30 minutes away) happens to be a college town. The next town is an additional hour away and is also considered a small town. I worked black friday in both towns and that was the norm. I guess when you get a bunch of college kids or a bunch of rednecks together wanting the same things crazy stuff happens. It has gotten better in the last couple of years because the stores have the cops walking around trying to keep everything under control. One year a college kid hit an old lady to take a dvd from her that was regular price.

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM

If they don't like it, they can quit. And not EVERYONE is obligated to work on thanksgiving. I used to sign up for it :)

TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM
So, retail workers are saving Thanksgiving? Funny.

Quoting Anonymous:

If everyone has to work 18 hours on Thanksgiving, eventually there will Be NO THANKSGIVING!

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Many industries have to work holidays. I don't see what the big deal is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured